Oracle VM Overview

Oracle VM is the #7 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Oracle VM vs KVM

What is Oracle VM?

Oracle VM for x86

Oracle VM for x86 is a Xen based server virtualization platform for public and private cloud and traditional on premise deployment. Oracle VM offers full lifecycle and application deployment from disk to cloud.

Designed and optimized for security, efficiency and performance Oracle VM supports major hardware vendors x86 and storage platforms and can run workloads on Linux, Windows and Oracle Solaris. Uniquely for our virtualization platform it offers live patching via Ksplice enhancing security and minimizing service disruption. Oracle VM supports hard partitioning which can significantly reduce software applications licensing costs.

Oracle VM for SPARC

Oracle VM for SPARC is a firmware based virtualization platform for Oracle and Fujitsu SPARC based servers running Solaris. Oracle VM supports hard partitioning which can significantly reduce software applications licensing costs.

Oracle VM Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle VM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Oracle VM Customers

Ambulance Victoria, Australian Finance Group (AFG), Avnet Technology Solutions, CERN, cloudKleyer, Danish Tax Authority (SKAT), Data Intensity, Dubai World, Engineers Australia, Enkitec, Groupe FLO, Guerra S.A. Implemento, s Rodovišrios, Interactive One, IT Convergence, Jesta Digital, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, KT, Kyoto Prefecture, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory / National Ignition Facility, Multinet Pakistan, National Australia Bank (NAB), Navis LLC, Overhead Door, Overstock.com, Paragon Data, Parks Victoria, Pella, Sunway Shared Services, St. Louis Metro, Terminales Ro de la Plata S.A., University of Massachusetts, Versace,

Oracle VM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle VM pricing:
  • "Licensing costs are less for Oracle Linux and for clients moving to the Oracle Cloud, as it is included in the price of the subscription."
  • "I recommend this for any customer wanting to reduce their licensing costs for packaged applications."
  • "If you choose Oracle hardware, then this virtualization software is included along with support."
  • "We were able to deploy our solution at near zero cost compared to other vendors since the licenses come with our Oracle hardware."
  • "All other vendors are selling their licenses to use the VM, but Oracle isn't doing that, which is its biggest advantage. It is free. All you have to do is get the hardware. You can create an unlimited number of VMs for free. With VMware, you have to purchase licenses for the number of VMs that you want to create. You only pay for their premium support, and even that is optional. I am now learning this product, and we can even do without the support."
  • "With having a global contract, we get some discounts."

JK
President with 201-500 employees
Good documentation and a simple setup but has a terrible licensing structure

What is our primary use case?

Clients are typically running Linux on Oracle VM, and then they're running Oracle databases on top of that.

• "Oracle is probably the best database technology out there. I've never found anything as complete in terms of feature and functionality and sophistication."
  • "I've found that using Oracle VM is like stepping back in time. It's not kept up with technology. The only reason anyone uses it is that they're afraid of Oracle's licensing. Oracle has a tremendously bad licensing approach."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with Oracle. One of the things that's unusual about my company is we absolutely do not court or back any particular technology player as we're the trusted advisor helping companies understand and solve problems. How unbiased can I be if I'm getting marketing dollars from Oracle or from Microsoft or from somebody else? We stand on our own. That's not always easy, however, it's the right thing to do. When I make a recommendation, it is with 100% the customer's interests in mind. I come in and work with companies that are in the process of migrating or…
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
Low cost robust VM soln with ability to patch with no downtime and free Live migration

What is our primary use case?

A disclaimer: Though I have been working with various flavours of Linux since Slackware 1.2 in 1996, and I more recently focus in more enterprise computing and Oracle Database, my opinions tend to be colored with those use cases. We use this Virtualization platform to host our internal development training and PoC environments. Though Oracel HAs increasingly been adding support for a KVM based solution in recent years many of their signature virtualization platforms like the private cloud appliance are OVM based.

• "The ability to live migrate VMs on the fly from one hypervisor to another has been very useful."
  • "Ability to patch with no downtime."
  • "We do have a little trepidation with systemd, as it does have a learning curve."

What other advice do I have?

Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
Oracle VM is an effective Virtualisation Solution that enables Oracle licensing benefits.We can expand or contract the resources, such as memory, that are assigned to different solutions as needed.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution For running our in house development work. As we work with Oracle packaged applications thius allows us to deploy a full red stack and prevents any application software vs hypervisor compatibility issues. We have also deployed this solution at many customer sites where we use it to reduce licensing impacts using cpu pinning to reduce the number of cores needed to be licensed for individual products such as oracle database and weblogic.

What other advice do I have?

We have seen stability challenges if the storage and network is not rock solid. In fact, the most robust solutions are those where the integration is already done, namely Oracle PCA, Oracle ODA, and Oracle Exalogic. These can be a little expensive for smaller setups, though the ODA is a very interesting choice in such constrained budget scenarios.
EA
CTO at Datacell
Highly scalable, perfect support, free, and easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

We have a few servers, and I tag them to the storage. Through that, we create VMs by provisioning some RAM, CPU, and storage. The RAM and the CPU get adjusted when we buy more servers to add to the cluster. We are not using its latest version. We are yet to migrate to its latest version.

• "Its ease of management and simplicity are most valuable. It is free, and you can provision an unlimited number of VMs at no cost for clients. They also provide perfect support."
  • "The user interface of the version that we have requires improvement. They have already improved the user interface in the latest version, but we are yet to migrate to that. The new UI is much better. I would like it to be simple. It is serving all of our needs, and I don't think it is necessary to keep adding. We are able to provision a VM in ten minutes, and provisioning it in five minutes will not have any added benefit."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I have recommended this to many different clients. It is for free, which is its biggest advantage. We are also Oracle partners, so we tend to go for Oracle. I would rate Oracle VM a ten out of ten.
SB
IT Infrastructure Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with good resource management, but needs to allow more access to documentation

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for server virtualization. We have opportunities that we want to learn from. For our customers, we recommend this product. We have Oracle databases or Oracle, Linux, or Red Hat Linux to run it on a virtual machine, and Oracle VM fits perfectly into that.

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the resource management from the OVM Manager."
  • "You need to have a model for documentation available for the users. Right now, if you have to search for some troubleshooting, you need to have Oracle login. Many personnel might not have that login. The reach, the availability of information to the end-user, is not there."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Oracle. We're consultants. My advice to other potential users is this: nothing is better than planning. It's much in a better way to start a project. That way, you understand how much it is that you need to have or how many servers you require. It seldom matters when you deploy in the virtual environment. You need to be very hands-on in Linux environments. I come from a Windows background. I am not a Linux user, for the most part. That said, fo this project, I learned Linux. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
LL
IT Team Lead Planning & Assets at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and reliable with good support

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle VM for the ESX servers from NetApp. It's a product for development.

• "What I like the most is the failover and the quick restore of virtual machines."
  • "Integration with cloud products would be beneficial."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle has always been one of the best database software on the market, and that's from at a corporate level. We used to use SQL in the past, and we've moved away from SQL in a lot of ways. So, I would definitely recommend Oracle based on its stability, the support it provides and being reliable. I wouldn't give it a 10 unless I knew exactly everything about it. There's a certain aspect of it that I don't use because it's done by our global engineering team. what I know of it, I think, eight is reasonable. If I knew more about the product, having used all of the features that comes with it…
TS
Sr. Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable and customizable, but lacks flexibility

• "There's a lot of space to customize the solution if you need to."
  • "The solution needs more features and flexibility in terms of communicating with other platforms. If it had that, it would be the perfect product."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Oracle. We are actually an IT service provider and an internet service provider. We have a lot of experience with VMware. I'm not the person who updates the solution, so I'm not sure what version it is that we are on, but it is most likely the latest. While the solution is okay, the flexibility is lacking. I would much rather recommend VMware over Oracle VM at this time due to the greater flexibility in that other system. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If it offered much more flexibility or was closer to offering features that were closer to what VMware offers, I…
JS
Senior System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A decent amount of features, however needs better integration and Snapshot capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution strictly for Oracle licensed products.

• "The solution is very stable. I don't recall any bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze."
  • "If you do a gap analysis between VMware and Oracle VM, you can't do VM Snapshot. That's one thing you can't do. It's a sort of a snapshot, but it's not really Snapshot technology. It requires that you're running on CFS-2."

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this product, as we are moving off of it. I would suggest that other organizations go with a KVM-based product. It's my understanding that Oracle will not be continuing with the product, and therefore no more work will be done to add features or improve the product. Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.
See 3 more Oracle VM Reviews