Pivotal Greenplum Review

Using Greenplum has given a good boost for bulk processing.

What is most valuable?

I've found that the data compression and ETL are the most valuable features for us.

In 4.3.8.1 Pivotal confirmed that even restoring schema level backup is possible from a DB backup.

- restoring schema from a DB level backup has been tested and working fine .

ORCA - the Pivotal Optimizer does a good query plan but does not works with all business logics. This needs to be tested based on your requirement.

How has it helped my organization?

Loading batch data has really improved the efficiency of our organization.

Running Extracts has drastically improved the timings. Being MPP which is a bulk operator - we were able to do 1.5 million calculation in 15 minutes.

What needs improvement?

Scaling of the solution needs to be improved.

HD connection is available where as, not to any file system.

Connecting Greenplum with Gemfire(In-Memory) to load, sync, and reconcile data would be really valuable.

I've used it for nearly for 3 years

We had deployment issues after installing new patches. Every new patches has some or other business hit where the release notes needs to be reviewed.

It's been stable for us.

They have a quick turn around but to dig into the actual information takes time, based on the Severity.

First level of technical support would not be that effective (based on own observation).

We were using Sybase and handling massive data, bulk operation was not possible.

It was simple.

1 Comment
Bharathvajan SubbaraoConsultantTOP 5LEADERBOARD

The schema level backup is still a question and I am not sure if it works as expected with the latest patch delivered.

30 July 16