Pivotal Greenplum Review

It provides file loaders to reduce dependency on Informatica.

Valuable Features

• Distributed data for performance
  • File loaders to reduce dependency on Informatica

Improvements to My Organization

Batch processing times have dramatically decreased from over 12 hours to under three hours. Much of this is converting off of Informatica and using distributed processing. Reporting performance also improved greatly.

Room for Improvement

Since we are upgrading to a new version at this time, it’s hard to say. But we seem to be replacing a disk on the appliance every week.

Use of Solution

I've used it for six years.

There's no issues, although we are currently in the middle of an upgrade to v4.3.5.

It seems like we are replacing a disk on the appliance every week. Not a noticeable issue for users and batch processing is not adversely impacted.

Very good. Response times are good for service calls.

I believe the set-up was straightforward. I don’t remember any issues.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team. My advice is that the planning is critical. When converting processing jobs, convert them to PostgreSQL for better performance. Yes they could work as written previously, but you benefit using the features of the product immediately if you adjust the processing to match appliance. Use the bulk processing to your advantage.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated other solutions. Not sure of the reasons why this product was chosen.

Other Advice

It’s a good product. We moved from Oracle and I don’t want to go back.