Pivotal Greenplum Review

A scalable and future-proof solution for data warehousing

What is our primary use case?

We install this solution for our clients. At the moment we are in the middle of an installation for a data warehouse that will be used by a telecommunications company that is based in Lesotho. We have not gone into production yet, but we have used it in a test environment and it works very well.

We are a technology company, so we handle software development, software implementation, data warehousing, and business intelligence.

We are using the on-premise deployment model. In Africa, there isn't much adoption of cloud services, so most of our clients are expecting on-premise implementation.

What is most valuable?

We chose Greenplum because of the architecture in terms of clustering databases and being able to have, or at least utilize the resources that are sitting on a database.

What needs improvement?

The installation is difficult and should be made easier. Maybe if the process was simpler it would have a quicker adoption by other developers. This could also be accomplished by providing training aids, such as videos to help with installation or using certain features. There are resources currently available on their website, but you have to search through a lot of documentation.

We are currently implementing this solution.

Our expectation is that the scalability will be good, as it is one of the main reasons that we have invested in this solution.

To this point, I have referenced the material on the website but have not really interacted with technical support.

The initial setup of this solution is not very simple. You need to properly follow the steps in terms of getting the whole architecture put together. We have a team of five people who are working on different aspects of the implementation.

Currently, we are focusing on the data layer. Next will be the ETL layer.

We are using our in-house team to implement this solution for our client.

We have used Oracle and Microsoft SQL, but we haven't had much success. We found that Oracle was not as scalable and we were having some performance bottlenecks. Also, from a licensing perspective, Greenplum was a better choice. For all of these reasons, we have chosen to invest heavily in Greenplum.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution specifically for the scalability. This solution has a more futuristic technology, as opposed to the old school kind of data warehousing. If people are interested in getting something that is more future-proof, then I would recommend this solution.

So far, we're comfortable with what we've seen. What we have configured is addressing our needs at the moment.