Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Review

Gives you at-a-glance compliance security, but microsegmentation still needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to certify blueprints. We are helping both on the CSPM and the CWPP parts of it. We monitor the compute infrastructure and certify the project.

CACS for CSPM, we certify against the NIST 800-53 compliance standard.

What is most valuable?

For the compliance part, we have found the pie graph, where we can see all of the compliance standards in one go, to be a valuable feature.

Prisma Cloud's monitoring features such as the compute compliance dashboard and the vulnerability dashboard, where we can get a clear visualization of their docker, have also been valuable. We can get layer-by-layer information that helps us see exactly where it's noncompliant. They update the dashboards quite frequently.

Their data security feature is quite good as well.

Their training modules are good, and my team is okay with them.

What needs improvement?

Microsegmentation still needs improvement.

For data security, they have only specific regions like the US, and they need to move to Asia as well.

The most important thing has to do with the computing, licensing, and costing. They charge seven workloads for monitoring one compute, and that is quite expensive. This makes it difficult to move fully with the compute part because of the workload.

Their training modules need to have more live examples. We need to refer to the YouTube channel or follow Palo Alto to get the reference. If they can refer to the YouTube channel in their training and indicate that it can be referred to for further information, it would be good.

On their portal, they do not have which services are available in each region. While searching, it's very hard to find in which location a service is enabled. So, it would be great to have a list of services for each region.

I've been using Prisma Cloud for eight months. It is a SaaS solution.

It's stable as of now; it has not been down in the last eight months.

It is scalable as of now. We have 20 VMs.

Technical support is good. From what I've observed though, different regions seem to have different SMEs, subject matter experts, and different people have different knowledge. So, there is definitely a gap between the different SMEs.

We were using AWS products.

We switched because of twist lock for compute security. The Prisma Cloud dashboard is powerful, and it gives you at-a-glance compliance security against many standards. We can also write our own custom policies if we want to build our own standard. So, there are lots of benefits with Prisma Cloud.

It's a SaaS, so the initial setup is pretty straight forward. We are still onboarding, and most of the customers are in the dev environment as of now and not production. So, it was quite smooth. They have their contributions filed on the portal, the cloud formation templates.

The licensing cost is a bit high on the compute side. We get a corporate discount, which helps reduce overall cost. In some cases, you may need to have two licenses to onboard a project, which would make it expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If your specialization involves blueprint certification against a compliance standard, then you can go with Prisma Cloud. It is very powerful for data loss prevention, and I would rate it at seven on a scale from one to ten.

More Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.