Red Hat OpenShift on IBM Cloud Review

Stable with an easy set-up and pretty good GUI

What is most valuable?

The Kubernetes are the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The GUI on it is great. The customer likes OpenShift because of that. In North America, if you are not on Google, you will typically choose Red Hat. In Europe, that's another story. In any case, a lot of people will select Kubernetes.

The initial setup is easy.

The system is largely stable.

What needs improvement?

I more like a traditional Kubernetes compared with OpenShift. There's some function call or some commands that only work on the Red Hat systems. There needs to be more integration across systems. On Red Hat, some functions are polarized.

The performance could be better. It's a bit slow right now.

The solution is a paid service. It's not free.

The solution isn't very straightforward for end-users.

Technical support could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution for more than two years at this point.

The stability of the solution is good. There aren't bugs. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The Kubernates scale well, more so that Open Shift. We have just one data center, which is maybe less than 1,000 machines.

We have less than 2,000 people in the company using the solution. Most people in the company either use it or indirectly benefit from it.

We barely have any interactions with technical support. In the past seven years, we may have only contacted them five times. We might ask for help if there's a bug in the program. That happens very rarely however as the solution is quite stable.

Typically their response is fair. Sometimes they help and sometimes they don't.

I found the initial setup to be very straightforward. It's not complex.

It only takes a few hours to deploy the solution. If you are familiar with it, it's pretty fast. However, if you are new to the solution, it may take a few days. That's normal, however.

The pricing should be less expensive.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing as it's not a part of the solution I deal with.

What other advice do I have?

I'd warn companies that they need to be of a certain size in order to consider this as a viable solution. It's much more suited to larger organizations.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Red Hat OpenShift on IBM Cloud reviews from users