SAP Business ByDesign Review

Improves our organization with efficient and accurate data processing

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for financial reporting and accounting.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP ByDesign is suitable for sales. It gives us a complete view of our customers. In terms of purchasing, we can track the order status. We can understand the order status associated with excellent inventory management.

Now we can know our available stock. This visibility enables us to make better resource and supply chain operations decisions as well as better financial decisions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the feature called Financial Closing Cockpit. This feature allows us to monitor our accounting and processing closely.

What needs improvement?

I would say budget controlling needs improvement. I mention this because it does not have all the functionalities that we need in terms of managing the budget.

The stability is good, very good.

It's very scalable. SAP takes care of the infrastructure; we don't see any problem with increasing the workload. In our experience, we can also connect with other external systems very quickly and pick up a lot of data.

In my organization, we have around twenty, mainly purchasing and accounting people using SAP ByDesign.

Our organization is extensively using ByDesign for coverage in the area of sales, purchasing and inventory, finance, accounting, and then we implement this data into our business workflows. We plan to do it for manufacturing as well as extend coverage to other companies.

The technical support is improving. I've noticed a definite change over the past four years, so you know they are picking up. Now their response time is quite good.

The previous software solution we used had significant limitations; it was only an accounting system, so we needed to extend the functionalities to an ERP system.
We switched from the local software, accounting software, to SAP.

The initial setup was somewhat moderate. I say that because you need to understand the data structure of the system well enough to be able to set everything up properly. There's a significant learning curve there because you need to learn tons of information specifically about the data structure.

Implementation can take about three to four months. Three to four months for a small company and it takes up to six months for the company with the manufacturing.

Typically we use a consultant for deployment. Our experiences have been quite good, in terms of understanding various aspects and functionalities of the Business ByDesign solutions. I think that now there's a lot more access to high-quality and knowledgable consultants in the market, so it's not difficult to find a consultant, who knows and understand the software.

I can say that it's only user subscription fees. It's approximately 2,500 annually.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this solution is that they need to understand how the solution works. They should start small and start by adopting the software in a small area. Cover only a few business functions first, and then after when they become more familiar with the system, then they can expand the usage. That's the most effective method, but a lot of people tend to use big bang approach, where you make sure that the deployment covers all the functions in your organization and that can be very time consuming and costly.

On a scale from 1-10, where 10 represents the best and one is the worst, I would rate this product a nine. Nine because it's keeps improving. There are always enhancements in product features, plus technical support is excellent.