SAP Data Services Review

An easy initial setup, good pricing and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a tool to do the deployment for the reports.

While we deal mostly with banks, who do not need complex analytics (their reports are largely static). It's useful for telecoms or other sectors that need to monitor daily trends. However, once designed, the banks can use the same report on a daily basis to see their somewhat static results quite easily.

What is most valuable?

We really like this product. Whenever we have customers, no matter where they are in the world, we suggest this app and we implement SAP for them.

The solution offers very good integration capabilities.

It's a quality product.

After working with the tool for so many years, I can say that overall their services are a really good deal. They continue to enhance their services regularly and are always improving their offering.

The tools that are provided are some of the best on the market and the pricing is really great.

What needs improvement?

In terms of data integration or other tools, we have a road map and we send out requests for enhancements through our marketing team who is involved in the process.

There should be some kind of enhancement that can be done on the admin side of certain sites where we can assign the roles and responsibilities. We should be able to control who is using the tool and how.

We have used the solution for ten to 12 years. I myself started with SAP in 2006.

The stability of the solution is excellent. There aren't bugs or glitches that I have seen. The system doesn't crash. Organizations can rely on its performance.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If an organization needs to expand it further after implementation, they shouldn't have any issues.

We've never had to contact technical support. We have our own team in-house. If there are queries, we tend to resolve them ourselves or use SAP's portal.

We've never really faced any difficulty that would require us to involve SAP directly.

Initially, we did have a few issues around Arabic localization and Arabic values, but once we resolved it, we didn't find many other issues. Most of the reports, the layouts, the data headers, etc. are now in Arabic and it's no problem.

For myself, I find the initial setup quite simple. However, I have many years under my belt working directly with the product. Someone with beginner-level knowledge might find it a bit challenging. In general, however, it's easy, not difficult.

The length of deployment depends on the organization and requirements. It does take a few days, but some projects are longer than others. It really depends on the client's needs. Each situation is unique.

We're a technical team, so we aren't directly involved in the prices or cost of the solution. Our marketing department handles the details and negotiates prices with SAP. They try to get reductions to lower pricing in the contracts. I have no idea what the exact amount is our company pays on a monthly or yearly basis.

Currently, I am doing some research into an Oracle solution that a client is asking about. While we focus on SAP, they are interested in this Oracle tool. I've been doing some analysis into it to compare the two solutions in case the bank decides that they do indeed want to migrate from SAP to Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

We are already an SAP gold partner. We have a significant level of partnership with SAP. We also used to do the reports for SAP. This is the only tool that we suggest to our clients and we do the implementation for banks in the Middle East. Nearly all customers have the same tool that we use. We are one of the leading banking software providers in the region.

We do not work with the cloud. We do local installations only. We don't use anything on the cloud because banks normally have policies in place where they cannot share with the cloud for security and risk aversion reasons.

It is one of the nicest tools on the market and people really should use it.

As compared to the other tools it is easier to implement and easier to understand. It's very efficient especially if you are looking at performance and stability.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd give it perfect marks, but there is always room for some more enhancements.

More SAP Data Services reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)