SAP Data Services Overview

SAP Data Services is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Quality tools. It is most often compared to Azure Data Factory: SAP Data Services vs Azure Data Factory

What is SAP Data Services?

You cannot afford to run your business on questionable data. With SAP® Data Services software, you can access, transform, and connect data to fuel your critical business processes. Together, these enterprise-class solutions enable data integration and data quality, providing the right level of insight across your business so you can make better decisions and operate more effectively.

SAP Data Services is also known as SAP BusinessObjects Data Services, SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator, BusinessObjects Data Integrator.

SAP Data Services Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Data Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SAP Data Services Customers

EMC Corporation, LivePerson, Eldorado, Mozzart, The VELUX Group, AOK Bundesverband, Hilti Group, Nissha Printing Company Ltd., Asian Paints, Aareal Bank Group, Migros Group

SAP Data Services Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Data Services pricing:
  • "The pricing is a little high to make the product more competetive in the marketplace."
  • "Its pricing is as per the enterprise agreement and not a concern for us."

Muzaffer Yontem
Project Delivery Manager at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Helps us to collect and analyze data and has enabled us to increase our product line

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is just, one-hundred percent, ERP purposes. We were typically Business Intelligence guys and we were not focusing on dealing with the data in-house. After the acquisition of this product, we were led to believe that it was a good business development opportunity for us as well and that we could become a candidate for data analysis projects. Because of the fact that we were based in Istanbul, we quickly became number one in the region for data analysis projects. We used this product in the telecom business. A few of these companies we worked with are still… more »

• "It is a powerful product with a broad range of features."
  • "Newer feature integration is lagging behind the company acquisitions and the product could do more to service a broader range of devices."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, when one is the worst and ten is the best, I think I would rate SAP Data Services BI a nine out of ten. For me, a product needs to be perfect to rate as a ten. I couldn't even give a ten to any product because I haven't seen any product that is perfect. My true feeling is that it is between eight and nine, but if I have to say eight or nine, I choose nine. I can recommend SAP as a product because the negative side of the product usually comes from different approaches to development. In a way, this is a kind of marketing because some developers prefer to use one…
RM
Program Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has a convenient dashboard and good data integration

What is our primary use case?

I’m not an SAP consultant but I have quite a long experience with SAP projects. I've been working in IT for 20 years (HP Services / DXC) and I have a lot of contacts with SAP customers so my opinion is based rather on my experience of real SAP implementations not based on a deep knowledge of SAP technology abilities. I’m a business consultant technology agnostic and very often my customers asking me for advice in the scope of a transformation of their IT environment. Most of our customers are dealing with a huge amount of data so we usually apply the solution to enterprise companies that have… more »

• "The HANA database, which is very fast, is a valuable feature."
  • "Integration with other products could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Many customers want to apply additional tools that are connected and integrated with SAP Analytics. It gives them more flexibility in building some reports. In some cases, we would still require an additional appliance, some additional tools to fulfill the needs of our customers. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about SAP Data Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MZ
Senior Functional Consultant at International Turnkey Systems - ITS
An easy initial setup, good pricing and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a tool to do the deployment for the reports. While we deal mostly with banks, who do not need complex analytics (their reports are largely static). It's useful for telecoms or other sectors that need to monitor daily trends. However, once designed, the banks can use the same report on a daily basis to see their somewhat static results quite easily.

• "The solution offers very good integration capabilities."
  • "There should be some kind of enhancement that can be done on the admin side of certain sites where we can assign the roles and responsibilities. We should be able to control who is using the tool and how."

What other advice do I have?

We are already an SAP gold partner. We have a significant level of partnership with SAP. We also used to do the reports for SAP. This is the only tool that we suggest to our clients and we do the implementation for banks in the Middle East. Nearly all customers have the same tool that we use. We are one of the leading banking software providers in the region. We do not work with the cloud. We do local installations only. We don't use anything on the cloud because banks normally have policies in place where they cannot share with the cloud for security and risk aversion reasons. It is one of…
NizarAhmad
BI & EIS Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution with a straightforward setup but cloud integration is not available

• "The logic is also simple. It makes it easy to build your extraction."
  • "Scheduling of jobs in the sequence is not available. It's a very tedious process to do that particular task. If there was a tool to schedule in the sequence that would be extremely helpful."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution. We have started using the Cloud Platform Integration with the CPA Data Service. It's a hybrid: both on-premises and cloud. SAP Data Services has a tool, but it is not a cloud-capable solution. I would advise users thinking about integrating this solution to look at your entire landscape. If you have any cloud systems as part of your landscape, then you need to have a clear understanding of what BODS is capable of doing. BODS Data Services is not good for the cloud. I would rate this solution seven out of ten because cloud integration is not…
SP
Senior Manager at GTX Soft
Good dashboards and data reporting but needs more cognitive analytics

• "The reporting on the data, even from third-party software, is very good."
  • "The solution should offer more machine learning and automation."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. SAP Data Services predominantly works for event tracking or training environments. However, if you're talking about social media, where there needs to be a lot of understanding about the data, you could build this solution into that area as well. You will just need a lot of research and development. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If they build in cognitive capabilities and went beyond just reporting on the dashboard, I'd rate it higher.
RK
BI and Visualization Platform Lead at a agriculture with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution with good integration and data migration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

It is a very widely used tool. We mostly use it for integration purposes between various systems and for data migration. One of the recent use cases is about the AWS database that we are trying to establish. We need the data from various on-premise systems, and SAP is one of them, which is majorly used. We want to put that data into our data lake. We are not using the cataloging and metadata features much. We have a separate data cataloging tool.

• "Its integration capabilities and the data migration capabilities are the most valuable. It is very good for SAP and non-SAP tools. It has very good integration with SAP, but it also has the capabilities to connect to other systems. We find it very helpful and stable."
  • "The skillset of data engineers matters a bit to use all the functionality of this solution. Otherwise, the delivery speed won't be faster."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we have good experience and feedback. We have very skilled engineers in our team, and I haven't heard any kind of negative feedback about this solution. I would rate SAP Data Services an eight out of ten.
ZH
Technical Project Manager Big Data and BI - Banking at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy code writing and good stability but needs integration with big data solutions

• "The fact that it's built on SQL, it makes it easy to write code. The database and the connection are quite smooth."
  • "The description of error messages isn't extensive, although they point to the problem. With other solutions, like Talend, I was able to use the debugger to get directly to the problem, but with SAP Data Services the debugger is not working. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the version specifically, but I'm using it in an enterprise environment and I can't do an upgrade."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises version of the solution. We work on the enterprise version and have a few hundred users. I like the platform. It's quite robust. It's just there are little improvements that could make the solution better, but it's quite a good tool. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
HD
Manager of Customer Care Center at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good logging capability, but not a solution that I recommend for incident management

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for storing incidents and all of the financial information that accompany them.

• "The most valuable feature is the logging capability."
  • "The interface is not quite user-friendly and is in need of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

This is not a solution I recommend for incident management. SAP works well for the financial side of the business, but for anybody who is researching solutions for incident management, I suggest that they use another product. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
See 4 more SAP Data Services Reviews