SAP Data Services Review
With the dataflows created in Dataservices, the customer could load and consolidate data from three different offices.

Valuable Features:

The easy integration with SAP Systems and the possibility to create a dataflow which is executed directly in the SAP system source.

Improvements to My Organization:

With the dataflows created in Dataservices, the customer could load and consolidate data from three different offices (USA, Europe and Argentina) using the same dataflows for every company.

Room for Improvement:

We used a different repository for every consultant and it created problems to maintain the final version of each dataflow in every user. I think there should exist a common repository (as well as in BO reporting suite tools) and give the different accesses via authorization roles.

Use of Solution:

I used it for 10 months.

Deployment Issues:

The biggest problem was the maintenance of difference repositories.

Stability Issues:

The stability problems were caused by hardware configuration. My doubt is if Dataservice is difficult to configure or there was a lack of knowledge in the Basis team.

Scalability Issues:

No, we didn't. Actually the dataflows constructed were completely scalable.

Previous Solutions:

No, in that project we only used BO Dataservices.

Initial Setup:

I think it is easy to use. When we started to use it we had never worked with Dataservices and we could adapt to it easily because the main functions are similar to other tools.

Implementation Team:

The implementation was with a vendor team. Actually I was the project manager of the vendor and the level of expertise in ETL projects was high but it was our first experience with DataServices.

ROI:

We only had the net margin of the project construction and it was about 15%.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

As the person in charge of the consultancy, we didn’t have costs.

Other Solutions Considered:

Before working with Dataservices I had worked with other solutions, but in this project we had no choice of another tool. Anyway, I think that Dataservices was a good choice because every source was SAP.

Other Advice:

From my point of view, Dataservices is a good ETL choice if there are SAP systems in the sources or the targets (it can help to make BW transformations much easier). In general I would say that it is very important to have a good source and destination definition before implementing anything, as well as in any other ETL tool.