SAP Hybris Commerce Review

Feature-rich, secure, quick to develop projects, and the community support is helpful

What is our primary use case?

I work for a consulting company and SAP Hybris Commerce is one of the products that I have experience with, in this capacity.

Our current use case involves an SAP commerce product called Spartacus, which is based on the cloud version. SAP handles the backend, which is deployed on the cloud, whereas the front-end is based on Angular technology. The clients I'm working with now are interested in migrating to Angular, so my current use case is migrating all of the front-end interfaces accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the clients that I'm working with is a post office, and they have a very large volume of traffic. In fact, they have nearly one million unique users per day. With this level of traffic, they wanted to use it for other things as well. To best take advantage of it, they decided to build a marketplace into their website.

SAP Hybris provides very good integration for a market place. There is a solution called Mirakl, which has a partnership with Hybris and they provide ready-to-use code for building a marketplace. The whole project took between six and eight months for the first version, and it was a huge success. In one year, we spent eight months developing and four months testing all of the processes, but we have a marketplace ready and currently, we are receiving a great benefit from it.

We have another client in France that had an event running, and they wanted to present their e-commerce websites at the event. We didn't have much time, perhaps five or six months, and they wanted to have a first version ready. It was a really complicated project, but since SAP Hybris provides all of the core features and our team is experienced, we successfully created the first working version in the allotted time. In turn, they were able to present their first version at the yearly event. That was another success.

What is most valuable?

I have worked with nearly all of the features. For example, I have worked on Stock Management, Payment Provider, searching with SOLR and Elasticsearch, and the Promotion Engine.

For e-commerce projects, it has all of the core features so you don't need to develop a lot of things from scratch. If you have a client and they want to have an e-commerce project that is based on solid principles, you don't need too much time to develop it. SAP provides all of the e-commerce features and it is secure.

Security-wise, SAP deals with large clients, and they feel comfortable with the security that SAP provides.

What needs improvement?

SAP Hybris does not employ the latest technologies. For example, they still use GSP, Tag Files, an older version of Java, no microservices, and no Amazon Web services.

They have just started to work with the cloud, but they only support Microsoft Azure. If a client wants to use Amazon Web Services then they will not be able to. This is an area of improvement that they can work on. Especially now, with the cloud trending, everyone is talking about the cloud but SAP Hybris is not on it.

Non-Hybris developers find it complicated to work with. To work on Hybris projects, you really need an example to work from, otherwise, it will be more difficult.

I have about five years of experience with SAP Hybris.

Currently, it's stable. There are some very big clients who use SAP Hybris, including well-known brand names, and they're happy with it. In my opinion, it is really stable and I expect that new clients will continue to come.

SAP Hybris is not really following the new technologies, and they have just begun working with the cloud. I think that they need to put some work in for it to be more scalable. The way SAP or their products were developed, does not allow the product to be scalable.

The project that I am working on at the moment has one million unique users per day.

There is a big community for this product.

For technical issues, you have the community and people who will spend time looking at the issues you have. There are people providing open-source solutions that help developers improve things such as their build times, or other work tools.

There is also support from the vendor. If you have a question and contact support, you always have the answers in a really short time.

Overall, for me, the technical support is good.

I have developed other e-commerce platforms, although they were in native Java and Spring, with no e-commerce framework. In Java, it is more painful because you need to develop everything from scratch. Not only is it not as powerful as Hybris, but Hybris already has many included features that are already tested and proven.

The installation is not very complex. The documentation is clear and it doesn't need experienced developers just to set it up. The length of time for deployment depends on the performance of the server. It might take perhaps 30 or 40 minutes. On a local server, it's between 15 and 20 minutes to deploy.

Our DevOps team is responsible for the deployment. We have pipelines, and a Jenkins job to take care of it. We have an automatic daily deployment on the test environments and the dev environments.

The current project is quite large so we have a huge DevOps team of perhaps 13 people. For simple projects or medium-sized projects, two or three people can take care of the whole thing.

We generally don't need to involve SAP or another integrator, but it depends on the requirements. If there are special needs, for example, then a DevOps person is required. For the most part, however, if you don't host your website with a third-party then you don't need anybody else.

One of the projects that I am working on has the product environment hosted with a third-party. In that case, some of the people from that platform have intervened to solve issues.

We have seen ROI. This e-commerce solution represents 70% of the company's income.

SAP Hybris is expensive, which is why only the large clients use it. At the same time, I think that the return on investment warrants it. For me, the majority of the clients I work with are happy and they see ROI. In my opinion, the product is worth the price.

We did not evaluate other options. For e-commerce, most of my experience is with SAP Hybris.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing this product depends on the company size and the project size. If it's not a very big project, I advise using other solutions, other frameworks, or develop the project from scratch with native Java and Spring. On the other hand, if it's a big project then I will highly recommend using SAP Hybris.

The biggest lesson that I learned from using this product is to test, test, and test again. Never put something into production, live, until you are 100% sure. So, if you want to develop something then test it, retest it, and retest it again. You have to be careful because surprises always come.

This is a great product and I have rarely experienced issues with SAP Hybris itself. The majority of issues stem from how people use it. Support is also great. It uses Java, as a few e-commerce solutions are. A project that is based on Java is good because it's the world's most used technology.

On the downside, this product is expensive, although it is worth it for big clients.

Microsoft Azure

6.4
More SAP Hybris Commerce reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about SAP Hybris Commerce. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.