SevOne Review

We're able to take proactive measures because it provides complete infrastructure visibility and detailed data to our customer.

Valuable Features

The fact that it's agentless. With agents, you only see what you instrument and what you tell it to look at. With SevOne, I have complete infrastructure visibility and can see anything on the network.

Improvements to My Organization

In 2002, my company was using Tivoli and I was totally frustrated in our inability to see anything. The first thing we fixed was storage and only got around to monitoring in 2008, which was a mess. We had trouble keeping our agents running and had 5 actions for every 125.

Now, we have about 125 actions as opposed to 125 phone calls of issues, increasing our proactive measures hundred-fold. We also began providing rich detailed data to our customer on system performance to the point that they had to change their processes and level of transparency.

We're blowing away our competition.

Room for Improvement

I think that the downstream suppression could be improved. Suppression must all be done manually, but this improvement is on SevOne's roadmap, I believe.

Use of Solution

I've used SevOne since 2010.

For our POC in 2010, we did a little bit of work ahead of time, laying down a small system and receiving an actionable date within four hours. A sister company was having a problem with a payroll system and had no monitoring on the system, so we installed a full suite of SevOne for them on a shared, virtual environment. We deployed those in 24 hours and we provided real-time data into how well the infrastructure was performing.

The only stability issue we had was with a recent upgrade, which took us a long time to backup and restore. We had significant issues with the stability of the PLA platform early on but they fixed and relaunched – very few companies have done that. The PAS and DNC have been rock solid.

No issues with scalability – that’s what's sweet about this product, unlike Tivoli with which he did have scalability issues. SevOne is peer-to-peer so you just add another PAS to the cluster. It's like lots of hands making light work – no problems scaling.

9/10 – they are working on improving that, but have a way to go yet.

We looked at a bunch – we did and RFI – Opnet, NetQS, SevOne and a fourth one. We ended up testing NetQOS (CA owned) and SevOne.

Tivoli – we're still using it as a backup, but all of our RCA and SLA reporting are coming from SevOne.

Easiest deploying product I have ever worked with. It's intuitive. I used to be a Unix admin, and I haven’t done this deployment before, yet I'm able to find data as I need.

Implementation Team

We implemented SevOne through our in-house team.

ROI

The ROI for my kind of business is difficult to assess, but if I could get rid of Tivoli, I'd reduce my load by two FTE’s which would give me a six month ROI as a back-of-the-envelope kind of guess.

We have increased our capability a hundred-fold over, so it was more of a customer performance thing than ROI. I could see stuff I never saw before. In our root-cause analysis, I would typically have eight level-six people and it could take 24 hours. That’s a lot of horsepower. Now it takes us a quarter of the time. That’s huge.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at a bunch during the RFI process – Opnet, NetQS, SevOne, and a fourth one. We ended up testing NetQOS (CA owned) and SevOne.

Other Advice

I would advise someone to test drive the product and see if it's what you need. I've recommended many people to use this product because it deploys so easily.

1 visitor found this review helpful