SevOne Review
Historically, we had constant server crashes and locks due to storage volumes filling up, which rarely happens now.

Valuable Features:

• UI for administration
  • Ease of use
  • One price, use as we need, and no add-ons to pay for
  • We can leverage JMX extensively as well
  • Flow collection allows us to avoid having to use a packet-capture product often.
  • The cluster of the solution allows ease of access for our users all over the country and world.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have closed monitoring gaps and consolidated multiple point solutions from varying vendors as our company has handled mergers and acquisitions.

We have extensive visibility into the performance and tuning of our java via JMX. Historically, we had JVM’s crash, and had no idea why. Now we know and can tune accordingly via data from SevOne.

Historically, before SevOne, we had constant server crashes and locks due to storage volumes filling up. That rarely happens now.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for eight years. Currently, we use PAS (various models), vPAS, and DNC. We don’t use the log analytics solution at this time.

Deployment Issues:

Initially very easy. The only delay that comes into play depends on the ability of an organization to configure the devices for SNMP if they are locked down. If SNMP is running and open as likely in many organizations, it’s fast and easy.

Stability Issues:

Compared to others I’ve used, it's very solid and support is extremely responsive if and when we have had any bugs or defects. At times, when we have lived on the leading edge of advanced release code we’ve encountered more, but if we stay back on solid GD versions, it's solid.

This one comes and goes as have the members of our account team. They have all been good at trying to understand our use and business, but some push the sale too hard and that is a turn off. I know this product and know what I need and when.

Previous Solutions:

In the past I have used CA NSM, HP OpenView, Concord, Spectrum, What’s up Gold, Solarwinds, BMC products, to name a few. While some competitors have a feature here or there that might be better on the whole, this is the best solution for us on the market for the dollar with the simplest ramp up and ease of administration.

Initial Setup:

It was simple as the environment wasn’t configured tightly (no ACLs, etc. to battle). There were some firewall rule changes where we needed to get to the DMZ devices we measure, but that moved quickly here.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it on our own with SevOne support assistance. For that matter we have been with them long enough that the CTO did our POC work with us.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I don’t recall that we had a hard cost other than the license/purchase, it was soft costs (OpEx labor) and we haven't worked those out, as they are ongoing. We have one employee that spends about 80% of his time working on the platform today. We have two 40K pollers, two HA units, two 10K units with one HA, three VPAS, and one DNC flow collector. So roughly $50,000 in labor annually.

Other Advice:

They should speak to other customers to understand how it was implemented and used. Think about best practices on the server/network side so standards and processes can be established at the start to prevent rework later.