SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Review

Alerting capability useful for monitoring abnormal usage, but internal network visibility could be better

What is our primary use case?

This solution allows me to see what we are using in terms of bandwidth on the WAN. I can use that in conjunction with Observium to figure out what endpoint on the network is pulling a lot of data, and what type of data it is.

One of the problems is that I am using two different products with two different dashboards to chase down the same problem. The bandwidth analyzer alerts me to the issue of excessive bandwidth usage, but then I have to look at the second product to figure out where. I have to find out what switch, what port, and potentially what host, so it takes a little bit of investigating to really narrow down what's going on.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives us a simple way to monitor traffic that is coming in and out. It shows me how much bandwidth is both inbound and outbound, and it is shown clearly on the dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the alarm that is set up to trigger based on bandwidth utilization. When we are alerted then we know that we have to look further into the issue.

What needs improvement?

This solution does not do a very good job when I am trying to look deeper into my internal network, in particular with respect to individual ports.

I have been using the SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer for between two and three years.

This is a stable solution. It works and I really don't have any issue with it.

There are three of us who use this solution from an administrative point of view. I am the manager of the department, there is a senior engineer, and there is a junior network engineer who uses it as well.

We did not have anything in place before implementing this solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

One of my internal engineers deployed this solution within the company.

What other advice do I have?

This was a good solution when we began using it a few years ago. However, now as the company is growing, I have more data lines coming in and I have more endpoints, I want to combine products. I'm looking for a single pane of glass dashboard to keep an eye on the entire infrastructure. As it is now, I have three dashboards that I have to keep track of.

Right now, this solution is doing what I need it to do. There is probably more room for improvement but I use the product in a simplistic way so there are things that I have not learned about it. Ideally, I would like a single product that does everything we need.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Nagios XI
Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.