SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Overview

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is the #5 ranked solution in our list of Network Traffic Analysis tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer vs Zabbix

What is SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?
SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom, and for what purpose.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is also known as Netflow Traffic Analyzer.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide

Download the SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Customers
Oceaneering International, Asia Pacific Network Information Centre, 335th Signal Command, Immofori
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer pricing:
  • "The licensing for this solution is based on the number of nodes."
  • "For our environment, we pay approximately $25,000 USD yearly."
  • "We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price."

MarkS
IT Analyst at Hawkbridge Consultants
Has a lovely graphical interface, it's easy to use, has powerful reporting features, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We use SolarWinds as a core tool to monitor our internal infrastructure.

• "In terms of the implementation, we've actually used SAM, the server and application monitoring tools. The network configuration tools are very useful in terms of bulk upgrading switches and infrastructure. Also, the Network Traffic Analyzer was extremely useful to track down errant users soaking up bandwidth."
  • "The problem is that SolarWinds is trying to bolt in too much and that can leave bugs, which you have to then sort out, leaving the product unstable. SolarWinds needs to try and slow down and improve the stability of the product, as opposed to bringing out more and more features."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution would be to look on the THWACK forums, which is the SolarWinds community support. It's a user support forum. I'd pose lots of questions on THWACK and I'd take advantage of the 30-day trial as well, which is available for all corporates initially when you want to use a product. You get 30 days free of charge to try out a product without obligations. SolarWinds is fairly competitive. There are lots of tools and products out there so you really do need to look at what options are actually available before jumping in and going down the SolarWinds…
TY
Senior Network Specialist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Alerts us whenever a device is down but it cannot do metric performance monitoring

What is our primary use case?

SolarWinds is a traditional enterprise network monitoring platform. It provides an event-triggered alarm. This is as opposed to ThousandEyes which is an application for delivery and performance metric monitoring. ThusandEyes is a service delivery tool for SaaS-based applications, with service delivery monitoring and circuit performance metric monitoring. Also, whereas SolarWinds is on-premises, this solution is cloud-based. Their analytic tools are on a cloud-based portal, but we have a physical, agent-based performance monitoring tool installed across the site.

• "SolarWinds has improved our organization because whenever a device is down, we get an alert."
  • "It does not flow. It cannot do our metric performance monitoring. So it is very limited. They can do it but in a very limited fashion. It is only good for SNMP-based alerts."

What other advice do I have?

As for advice for people looking to implement either solution, it's on a case-by-case basis as each person has different requirements. In our case, one can do somethings and can't do others. It's not the silver bullet that can fix everything, but we selected them based on our requirements. On a scale of one to ten, I'd rate SolarWinds a 5. It does not flow. It cannot do our metric performance monitoring. So it is very limited. They can do it but in a very limited fashion. It is only good for SNMP-based alerts. Regarding ThousandEyes, I would give it a seven, because you can set a threshold but…
Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
IT Director at NEDCO
Helps diagnose issues and relieve network congestion, but the licensing needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We have a collection of SolarWinds solutions. Our primary use for this tool is to monitor our network. We have a LAN and WAN to monitor. We use the product to get an overview of the performance to let us predict potential issues and act preemptively before we have real problems. The product helps us monitor the load on the network and on the different network lines. We are planning to expand our use because they offer some good advantages with broader product use. It is used on a daily basis and it is one of the key tools that we use to maintain our network and keep track of our… more »

• "With SolarWinds, we are now able to accurately gauge bandwidth consumption."
  • "The licensing should be more realistic so that we can adjust the number of nodes according to my needs, rather than in fixed increments."

What other advice do I have?

We are planning on upgrading to the SL2000 model. As of today, I am satisfied with this solution. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
RD
Network Services Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good reporting allows us to proactively deal with bandwidth-related issues

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for monitoring our bandwidth. We run daily reports, send the data to Tableau, put that in a map of Texas, and look at all of our sites. It tells us if we're nearing 80% and when we need to increase bandwidth.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical."
  • "It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

As this solution is implemented now, we're running fine and it is difficult to see things that can improve. It's giving us all of the information we need. For example, we have SNMP traps set up and we are able to look at offices across the entire state of Texas. It's a pretty big job. We are very much sold on this solution and plan to continue using it. My advice for anybody who is considering SolarWinds to get the free 30-day trial, install it, test it, and see if it meets their needs. They have a lot of different modules available, so you buy the ones that you need and implement them…
MH
Network Engineer at Brookfield Property
Saves time in everyday operations by managing all of our devices using a single pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everyday network monitoring. This includes the flow analytics, and seeing what's online and what's not online. It is a key part of everyday operations.

• "I like that it is able to monitor multiple devices and it's vendor-agnostic."
  • "This solution would benefit from having more security-based communications between the actual devices and the software itself."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this type of solution is to know your environment. Regardless of the vendor you choose, know the costs associated with all of your endpoints. I love using the tools provided in this solution. There is always room for improvement, but ultimately, I have always been happy with this product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
HD
Control Department Head of Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides good response for managing the traffic, but doesn't provide information about the endpoint that is downloading heavy files

What is our primary use case?

We use many SolarWinds solutions. We use SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer mostly for monitoring the traffic and ensuring that everything is working well. We use it to manage and monitor the traffic and check if the connection between the two sites is well.

• "For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time. We have been using this solution for many years, and we don't have any problem with this solution."
  • "If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements. It is mostly stable. The problem comes only when we want to add another SolarWinds model. SolarWinds has so many models, and sometimes when we want to add other models on the platforms that are reserved for our firm, it freezes. When this happens, we have to create a new VM for that model."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if your need is really about monitoring the traffic. It gives good feedback for monitoring the traffic, and it is a good solution for that, but if you want to do more than that, I would not recommend this solution. It is a good solution for small and medium enterprises. It is good for enterprises that are not too big and don't have too many networks. I would rate SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer a six out of ten.
Bill Lamon
Information Technology Manager at B&I Contractors
Alerting capability useful for monitoring abnormal usage, but internal network visibility could be better

What is our primary use case?

This solution allows me to see what we are using in terms of bandwidth on the WAN. I can use that in conjunction with Observium to figure out what endpoint on the network is pulling a lot of data, and what type of data it is. One of the problems is that I am using two different products with two different dashboards to chase down the same problem. The bandwidth analyzer alerts me to the issue of excessive bandwidth usage, but then I have to look at the second product to figure out where. I have to find out what switch, what port, and potentially what host, so it takes a little bit of… more »

• "The most valuable feature is the alarm that is set up to trigger based on bandwidth utilization."
  • "This solution does not do a very good job when I am trying to look deeper into my internal network, in particular with respect to individual ports."

What other advice do I have?

This was a good solution when we began using it a few years ago. However, now as the company is growing, I have more data lines coming in and I have more endpoints, I want to combine products. I'm looking for a single pane of glass dashboard to keep an eye on the entire infrastructure. As it is now, I have three dashboards that I have to keep track of. Right now, this solution is doing what I need it to do. There is probably more room for improvement but I use the product in a simplistic way so there are things that I have not learned about it. Ideally, I would like a single product that does…
DG
Head of Technology and Inspection at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dashboard alerts me when a critical device goes off in the network but it needs more system intelligence

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for analyzing traffic and monitoring performance.

• "The dashboard alerts me when a critical device goes off the network."
  • "Customer Support is quite complex."

What other advice do I have?

I would give the solution a 5 out of 10, there are opportunities to improve.
See 9 more SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Reviews
Download our free SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.