Sophos Cyberoam UTM Review

Reliable, easy to set up, and excellent for remote access with the VPN

What is our primary use case?

It's a UTM device, unified threat management, and we use it for web and application filtering and of course to scan the traffic that comes from the internet to the LAN. Due to the pandemic issues and people working from home, a lot of these devices were configured for the SSL VPN.

What is most valuable?

The endpoint protection part of the product can all be centrally managed from the cloud as well. Even the firewall, as an MSP, can be configured and then managed from the cloud.

The solution is excellent for web and application filtering and remote access with the VPN.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The solution is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, during part of the configuration, if you don't have a lot of technical knowledge, then you may struggle a bit to configure it - especially for the exit through the internal server. When you are doing the business application publishing and if you don't know much of the port forwarding or how the business application configuration is done, then you may struggle a bit.

The pricing could always be better. It would make it a win-win for everyone.

I'm currently configuring one right now. I've been using the solution for a while.

The solution is very stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

There are modular firewalls. The entry-level devices do not have the slot for adding more network ports or things like that. Therefore, it depends on the organization as to what level of configuration they want. If it's a small organization, then the entry-level product, something like XG86 or XG115 et cetera, all those are sufficient. However, if it's an organization that requires adding more ports or more cards to their plans, then starting with an appliance version XG125 is ideal as it has the optional modular port whereby you can add additional cards.

Technical support is okay. I had issues with the technical support in that they did not respond on time. However, we have to deal with the different time zones.

The solution is pretty straightforward. Within 10 minutes, it was put in production on the network.

In-house certified team implementation

Licensing is on a yearly basis. They also offer a month-to-month extension if required. After 12 months, if your license expires and you want to exchange it for one month or two months, then that is possible as well.

The pricing on the partner portals is okay. The challenge comes as there's sort of a monopoly for the distributor in Tanzania. There is just one distributor and that is where the challenge comes. Sometimes the distributor is out of stock or they set up their own freight charges. Sometimes they're out of stock and the stock takes maybe four to six weeks and is then delayed. Basically, the challenge comes up when the distributor is out of stock.

Before choosing this option, we looked at Cisco ASA, Fortinet, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

We're a gold partner. We configure it for our clients on-premises.

Cyberoam was actually taken over by Sophos about three years ago.

The latest versions were announced just about a few weeks ago, if not more. It was the XGS Firewall. So what I'm configuring right now is a Sophos XG firewall.

It's just a firewall. Basically, it's the hardware. Either you have the hardware or you can have it as a virtual machine.

I'd recommend the solution to other users.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten.

More Sophos Cyberoam UTM reviews from users
...who work at a Non Profit
...who compared it with Sophos UTM
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.