Sophos Cyberoam UTM Overview

Sophos Cyberoam UTM is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. It is most often compared to Sophos XG: Sophos Cyberoam UTM vs Sophos XG

What is Sophos Cyberoam UTM?
Cyberoam Unified Threat Management hardware appliances offer comprehensive security to organizations, ranging from large enterprises to small and branch offices. Multiple security features integrated over a single, Layer 8 Identity-based platform make security simple, yet highly effective.
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Sophos Cyberoam UTM Customers
Gulf Corporation for Technology, Maridive & Oil Services, Fidelity Bank, Petra University, Capital FM Kenya, Safari Park Hotel and Casino, Mayfair Casino, Pacific International Lines, Mozambique Ministry of Education, University of Namibia, Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability, University of Hawai, New Delhi Municipal Council
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos Cyberoam UTM pricing:
  • "This is a cost-effective solution compared to other vendors, such as Cisco."
  • "We pay for licensing the solution. It's my understanding that it is not overly expensive. It may be somewhere around $2,000 for a license."
  • "The licensing is on an annual basis and is very reasonably priced."
  • "There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."

Sadir Omer
Assistant Engineer - Network Solutions at Sri Lanka Telecom Services
Useful data quota features, but scalability is an issue and the signature database could be enhanced

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Sophos Cyberoam UTM is the main product that we sell. We also use it as part of our own network security solution as well. The primary use cases are setting data quotas on a per-user level, web filtering, and granting or denying access to resources. In Sri Lanka, the data is always limited, which is one of the biggest problems that we have.

• "Having a firewall solution with a data quota is very important when the bandwidth is limited, which really distinguishes it from other products."
  • "When it comes to web filtering and application filtering, it does not contain enough signatures to determine all of the sites that need to be blocked."

What other advice do I have?

When we transitioned from Cyberoam to Sophos Cyberoam UTM, we were able to back up the rules and then upload them into the new solutions. It was easy to do and within a few hours, it was set up. If your company does not have a network administrator then this is a good option because the training makes it very easy to use. For larger, enterprise-level organizations, people will look for different solutions. If I were rating this product only for the Sri Lankan market then I would score it an eight out of ten. However, the majority of other countries do not have the issue of bandwidth…
DR
Head of IT at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reliable, easy to set up, and excellent for remote access with the VPN

What is our primary use case?

It's a UTM device, unified threat management, and we use it for web and application filtering and of course to scan the traffic that comes from the internet to the LAN. Due to the pandemic issues and people working from home, a lot of these devices were configured for the SSL VPN.

• "The solution is excellent for web and application filtering and remote access with the VPN."
  • "Sometimes, during part of the configuration, if you don't have a lot of technical knowledge, then you may struggle a bit to configure it."

What other advice do I have?

We're a gold partner. We configure it for our clients on-premises. Cyberoam was actually taken over by Sophos about three years ago. The latest versions were announced just about a few weeks ago, if not more. It was the XGS Firewall. So what I'm configuring right now is a Sophos XG firewall. It's just a firewall. Basically, it's the hardware. Either you have the hardware or you can have it as a virtual machine. I'd recommend the solution to other users. I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Gervasio Alferes Caetano
Science Technician at Assembleia da Republica
Easy installation with good load balancers but needs better documentation

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its firewall capabilities. We use it to make a firewall for the network and the two main computers as well as our web pages.

• "The solution has good load balancers."
  • "There needs to be more documentation that users can access to help them understand the solution or troubleshoot as necessary."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using. I'd recommend the solution. I would rate it at least a seven out of ten. It's a pretty good solution and we're mostly happy with it.
MV
Senior Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Has good standard firewall-type functionalities as well as a good web application firewall

What is our primary use case?

The majority of it is on-premise protecting the external to internal and then we utilize the features inside the Cyberoam XG series like their IPS and their web application firewall to do the filtering as well as their proxy server inside the application control.

• "I'm more inclined towards the conventional firewall. So for me, I'm more geared towards the standard firewall type functionalities as well as the web application firewall because that seems to work fine."
  • "I would say there's room for improvement in terms of the GUI. Because it is better than some of the other standard firewalls. They have the drag and drop features."

What other advice do I have?

I would just say keep it simple, don't make it too complex. Keep it simple and then from there scale it up. I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a higher score, Sophos should look at the virtual firewall feature because most of the current players like Juniper have the option for a virtual firewall. That way you can actually split up into multiple different firewalls or one physical firewall.
SH
Network Administrator at Hass Petroleum
Good VPN and reporting capabilities with an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Cyberoam in close to nine locations. We are using, for example, IP sets from Kenya to Somalia, a place where we could not get MPLS connectivity. We have a secondary server in the Somalia office. I also use it from the Nairobi office to the Dubai office as the MPLS is very expensive and I need to do a backup daily. That is for the IP sec. For the VPN, we use it to access our ERP systems remotely from everywhere. Close to a hundred users use it and it has been stable.

• "The VPN is excellent on the solution."
  • "The policy is a bit too vague."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. We are using various versions, including 100iNG, 50iNG, and 25iNG. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. There's always room for improvement, although mostly we have been happy with it.
Manojkumar Deshmukh
G.M.(Works) at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, with good geofencing, but at its end-of-life

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for operating system security.

• "The performance has been good overall."
  • "The product is at its end-of-life. There is nothing to improve as it will be discontinued."

What other advice do I have?

We're typically using the latest version of the solution. We update our policies every three years and continue to update them. The product is obsolete and we have moved over to Sophos. Generally, I would tend to recommend Sophos XE to users. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.
Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The reporting tool is one of the best we have tested but it needs integration with the security features

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution strictly in connection with the files of internal users, such as in a case that they are using the internet and we wish to control their bandwidth or time limit.

• "We consider the user level and control features of Sophos Cyberoam UTM to be the best."
  • "The VPN is an area that can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Our organization has multiple branches and, overall, approximately 200 users are utilizing Sophos Cyberoam UTM devices. I would rate Sophos Cyberoam UTM as a six out of ten.
MS
Information Technology Network Administrator at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Good application filtering, anti-spam, and IPS features

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cyberoam UTM as our centralized gateway and it is useful for web filtering, application filtering, anti-spam, and IPS.

• "The interface is user-friendly."
  • "We have had some issues with technical support, which is an area that needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if Cyberoam continues in the future then it is a product I recommend. However, my understanding is that the product will no longer be available next year. For people who want to migrate from Cyberoam, the best option that we have seen so far is from Fortinet. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 11 more Sophos Cyberoam UTM Reviews