Sophos Cyberoam UTM Review

Facilitated bringing remote locations into one LAN, but lacks security features

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is monitoring. Having a reporting console to monitor the usage of bandwidth. That's the prime concern.

How has it helped my organization?

Let's talk about connecting the branches to the central headquarters. That has really improved our functioning, because we were really facing trouble with remote locations. What we had before was a decentralized mechanism in our organization, but after having this product we were able to get the remote locations into the same LAN. We were able to control the bandwidth and were able to take virtual access of those machines and give them the support, as and when required.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the flexibility the product offers, in terms of remote access. We have bout 35 locations across the kingdom, and connecting those remote locations with the minimal bandwidth was a challenge. A few of my branches are connected via 3G. So that is the most advanced feature I like about Cyberoam, the flexibility the solution offers.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot or room for improvement, because it is still not a fourth or fifth generation firewall. It lacks security features. I would say security is something that is not that appealing in this product, so that's where they can improve.

Three to five years.

There were no issues with stability.

I'm not sure about scalability because the number of users I had was approximately 250 and the headquarters model, which is CR300iNG, supports about 350 users. The threshold was good, so I did not find any major issues with it.

Average, average, average. Their customer service has to be improved a lot, especially the ticketing mechanism they have. First we do have to first raise a ticket, wait for their availability. And the people, I found they don't have much knowledge, so normally a lot of escalations after which the issue gets resolved.

Earlier, I was using Cisco ICER. I switched because it's not a UTM box, and it requested a lot of add-ons, when it comes to flexibility of those devices. For example, if I needed to extend my user limit, every time I need to purchase a slot and increase the firmware. That was not so appealing. That is the reason I switched to the new, next-generation UTM firewall.

It was very user friendly. It was a straightforward integration. We had no issues. In fact, no system integrator deployed it. We did it ourselves.

It is worth the value.

I did evaluate FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

The first drawback is that Sophos has acquired Cyberoam. So, if I was a new customer who wanted to choose between Cyberoam and Sophos, I would definitely go for Cyberoam because it has additional features in it. I don't understand the strategy behind it, because the same owner has two different products under one umbrella. It's a bit confusing.

Six out of ten is the best I can rate Cyberoam at this moment. To get it to a 10, it's up to the manufacturer. They need to really upgrade their firmware to match up with the fourth or fifth generation firewalls that other vendors have to offer. My advice would be that the manufacturer needs to focus on security.