Sophos SafeGuard Review

An excellent endpoint solution that's easy to setup, very stable, and highly secure

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an endpoint antivirus action for the system.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of security, we were a bit lacking before we introduced Sophos. I was using another Endpoint solution before. While we were using that, I realized that I was seeing a few security challenges. The biggest plus for me is the fact that I could manage web traffic, web services or other traffic using the Endpoint solution. I can lock it, and basically I'm the only person that can control everything.

What is most valuable?

I use all the features. they're all excellent. One of the aspects of the solution that I like the most is the fact that I can control my peripherals without having to use it for part of the application.

With Sophos, I only need to generate the password and give that to a user to be able to allow them to log in to the admin page of the Endpoint and do whatever they need to do. The user cannot go ahead and uninstall it. It's kept us much more secure because of this. Should any event happen on a particular system, I'm given the username and the system IP address. I get notifications and can deal with issues right away.

What needs improvement?

If you're talking about technical support, their endpoint support needs improvement. Their UTM is doing well, however.

If it's possible, they should make all the features available because it's got a lot of features on offer, but you have to buy the license in order to add those features to the normal Endpoint. If they could make all those features available and/or offer a bundling option it would be better.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is 95% stable.

In terms of scalability, if you have a license, you could add more licenses, except that, for instance, if I already bought a 50 user license, and then I want to buy an additional 50 later. The new license will not read the new date. It will be reading the old date of the old license. Both license will expire at the same time. In that sense, I don't think it's really that good for scalability purposes.

Currently, we have 110 users. We have plans to increase usage in the coming months.

We previously used Kaspersky Advanced. We switched because we discovered that there were a lot of features that we didn't have on Kaspersky that were available on Sophos. One is Intercept X which takes care of whatever infection there is on your system before you even know it.

You could synchronize Sophos Endpoint with a Sophos UTM and define which system or what category of system should be allowed access to the internet, based on their health status. That's not available with the previous antivirus I was using.

In the end, Sophos gave us a better price, with better features and better offers.

The initial setup was straightforward, except for the fact that because it has to download the installation file online, it takes a while. It would be easier if they could make an offline installation possible. Deployment takes from 20 minutes and up.

I handled the implementation myself.

We have a yearly license with Sophos which is around $1000-$1200 or so per annum. There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fee.

We did not evaluate other options before switching from Kaspersky to Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. New users should ensure that they get every module that they need.

I had a friend whose server was attacked by ransomware. It became a challenge for them. However, by installing Sophos Intercept X for servers, you could lock down that server, so that no executive file or no program would run unless you unlock them. The programs that would function would only be the ones that you have listed on Sophos. I didn't know that existed until I started using Sophos Endpoint. The antivirus is not just running on my system to protect it against viruses, it's also allowing me to lock my systems so that nobody can execute anything without my authorization. It gives me enormous peace of mind.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.