Statseeker Review

Reduces the complexity of your network monitoring and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of Statseeker is for our interface. In our data center, we are typically a Cisco shop. We can now look thirty days into the future based on past stats of trends or fashion.

If we have 10 servers in the field office, we can jump up to twenty based on utilization. We have the evidence. It is a lot of manual work to create those reports, but a bit easier now.

How has it helped my organization?

Statseeker helps solve an asymmetrical routing issue we had before. We could see traffic going out of one interface, but not coming back in.

An operations guy made a change and told us it was good. We didn't check it, we had too much going on. When I clicked in and looked at the traffic, you could tell it wasn't right. I had to log in and correct them so. That is a pretty good example of basic metrical routing.

What is most valuable?

Statseeker is quick and very simple to use. We want to keep it like that. It has to be simple.

The solution has affected our workload with all our network admin teams. They don't use this tool as much as I probably would like them to use it for initial troubleshooting.

Statseeker helps to quickly see if you have a spike or something going on. In the future, we need to get NetFlow in the tool so we can see what the IP is.

This solution hasn't affected our network availability. It's helped because we can see when things go down or when things come up. If we have a circuit maxed out, we can reroute the traffic, and do different things like that.

For a reduced cost, it is not possible because our network is so big and part interface. Maybe if we got a single router in the field office it would reduce the cost.

It's probably not a model we are going to go with because we like to have dual connectivity, dual routers, and dual switches set up.

What needs improvement?

With Statseeker I'd like to see some flow, i.e. what's tuning-up the network. The trend I like is managing the traffic load by going to the cloud.

Statseeker tells you routing-wise how things are working, in terms of transmit and receive. You shouldn't be transmitting more than you are receiving. It depends on the traffic, but it should just mix and match.

With Statseeker, we caught a lot of issues. We have a lot of operational issues.

The stability of the solution is up and running. We had once had an issue a couple of years ago with upgrading the code. Resolved it within ten minutes.

It does scale well. You have to pay for your account, but I had no issues. We've used this tool for probably eight years, maybe ten.

The scalability of the solution helped us to implement SDN. It's going to take probably until next year. We have too many other projects going on right now.

We have multiple data centers and multiple campus locations. We have dual wire carriers. We can see transmit coming in, receipt coming out.

I have Statseeker set up for routing. I can see when the interface goes down. Then the traffic flow over onto the other router. It's nice to have that.

Statseeker tech support was bad around 2-3 years ago. I have had the new support for maybe 6 months to a year. I'll be upgrading the codes. I haven't rung customer support in a year or so.

For software and hardware, how we spend the money depends on demand and what we have going on. One year, we could have campus refresh, and if we have a little bit of change left over we'd spend it on software. We have had Statseeker as long as 8-9 years ago.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did discovery of how many devices go onto a monitor. It didn't take too long to do it.

We bought directly from in-house sales, the Australian guys.

We have sixteen to twenty-thousand interfaces at a minimum.

What other advice do I have?

Statseeker reduces the complexity of your network monitoring. It is easy. You don't have to go in and show the guys how to log in and check this and that. They can just click whichever router is required for the interface.

I would like a single pane of glass. It's not there. We have so many devices. We have a huge network. We go over fifty thousand nodes in the US, UK, Ireland, and Poland.

We use different tools. Statseeker is one of them. Not all of them offer a single pane of glass for administration. You have to click in, dive in, and dig into the ways.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd rate Statseeker with a 9 based on what I have seen there now. I'd like to get the flow. I'd like to get more visibility. It's probably me being harsh. But the tool works. I am very happy with it.