Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

It's customizable, we're able to tune it to work with our products

What is our primary use case?

Primary usage is on endpoints, desktops, clients, and servers, and it's working okay.

How has it helped my organization?

It blocks malware, as it is supposed to.

What is most valuable?

We're able to tune it to work with our products.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see even more customization, the possibility to do whitelisting. It needs to be a little bit more liberal on whitelisting, even to use the name if needed, instead of hashes.

More than five years.

Stability is good.

We only have 10,000 endpoints so it's not that much, but it's working.

Depending on who you end up with, it can take a while before you get the correct support.

The out-of-the-box functionality, the vanilla setup, is okay, but then tuning is needed. Overall the setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My most important criterion when selecting a vendor is that they are easy to work with.

I rate it at eight out of 10. When, say, Microsoft releases a new OS version twice a year, you never know if the current version of Symantec Endpoint Protection will support it. You can have a lag between when Microsoft releases a new client - and then the current version doesn't work correctly - and it could be some months between updates from Symantec.

Overall, it's really good product. It has saved us a lot of time and, most of the time, it's a self-playing piano.