Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

The endpoint is protected by the cloud whether the user is on or off the network

What is our primary use case?

A couple of our customers have deployed and are using Symantec Endpoint Protection.

I joined COMPAREX eight months back, and they have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for two and a half years.

How has it helped my organization?

Symantec has cloud-based endpoint protection, so whether a user is off the network or on the network, the endpoint will be protected by the cloud.

What is most valuable?

It has very unique features, which are not available with other vendors. E.g., there is a feature called SONAR.

You can integrate it using ATP, so all the endpoints communicate to each other on the security platform.

17 million sensors are fitted all over the world.

What needs improvement?

About four years back, Symantec's signature was very heavy and their signature patch was around 200MB or 300MB files.

Less than one year.

Symantec Endpoint Protection is stable product, if you compare it other vendors, like McAfee or Trend Micro. McAfee was acquired by the Intel, who is very not strong in security patterns.

Our German team manages the maintenance.

The scalability is okay. I would rate it as a nine out of ten. Users are a bit afraid of the integration with ATP, as it is increasing scan times when downloading up to two to seven seconds.

We have around 2500 employee over all the globe. All the endpoints on laptops or desktops are running Symantec Endpoint Protection. Apart from that, we have multiple customers who have deployed the Symantec Endpoint Protection solution.

The technical support is very good. They have an Indian support team, so there are no delays in receiving support.

Their R&D teams are very strong in remediation.

We were previously using Trend Micro Smart Protection Complete.

The initial setup is very straightforward, not complex.

Deployment time depends on the user size. E.g., 200 users can be implemented in two days.

We have a dedicated delivery team to deploy the solution.

It is very easy to configure. There are no challenges when implementing this solution.

We have seen ROI.

Each annual client license is around 1200 or 1600 INR.

Zero-day threat or advanced attacks should be part of the endpoint. The product should not require you to buy a separate license.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. They are a very strong leader in the Indian market.