Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

Most recent version is not reliable and cannot be trusted as a viable security solution

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is endpoint antivirus/antimalware security on Windows computers, on and off my office network.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, it provided easy centralized management of policies and devices. Threat protection has always worked well.

What is most valuable?

I originally posted the most valuable feature is centralized management - after consideration, I realized this is not accurate. I've used the on-premise and cloud versions of SEP.  I prefer cloud versions as it is centralized and easy to manage, but every cloud-managed solution does this. I have many cloud managed solutions I use, but I've found SEP to be quirky and inefficient at best. My personal experience is the protection works well. I haven't had an infected computer in years (managing 300 devices now, more over the years). The problem with the protection is I've encountered far too many computers where the licensing fails at some point after installation without warning or notice. You have to check each computer routinely to verify the license is good and the agent is updating. This directly impacts the core reliability of the product since license "expiration" (failure) prevents the agent from updating.

What needs improvement?

This latest version upgrade/migration over the last year has been atrocious.

There have been numerous support issues and calls with Sr. VPs at Symantec, who were always understanding about the problems, but the product has proven unreliable to install and manage. The protection itself seems as solid, but if devices are losing their licensing without notice for no reason, it's only a matter of time before they become compromised.

The bottom line is that when it comes to management, reliability of management, reporting, alerting, installation, and licensing, if these don't work reliably you can't trust the product's security capability.

I've seen way too many outages and "maintenance" events in the last year on the new platform to consider it stable.

What other advice do I have?

This latest version has proven unreliable for management and installation.

I would no longer recommend this product as a viable security solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I'm currently a Symantec partner/resller as an MSP but will be replacing Endpoint Protection with another solution in the immediate future.