Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

Centralized control and good network visibility, but more support for wireless devices is needed

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for encrypting data across networks, monitoring and checking traffic, and antivirus. It is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps in that I can control quite a few computers from our central location, with ease. I am able to see what is happening on my network, using my dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the antivirus and the protection against Ransomware. I use it for checking my network traffic.

What needs improvement?

I would really like some of the features that are available in Kaspersky Enterprise to be available in the client version of this solution.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see more to do with malware, encryption technology, and controlling mobile devices. I would like to be able to protect my wireless equipment at that level.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

I've had no issues with stability in the ten years that I have been using it.

This product is being pushed the maximum, and we are using it every day.

It is stable, and once you put in the policies, it does what it is supposed to do.

From my experience, I find scaling this solution is difficult. You have to work your way around it. It takes some time getting used to the admin dashboard before you can make any changes.

We have about sixty users in the company. Two of them are administrators and the remaining are end-users.

Technical support for this solution is ok. I have no issues with them.

We did not use another solution prior to using Symantec.

From my point of view, the initial setup of this solution was pretty easy.

Only one person is required for the maintenance and to handle support assistance. Everything is done remotely. You just push the changes across the network.

I performed the deployment myself, and it takes about an hour, or perhaps two hours at most.

Considering the features, the price of this solution is average. We pay our licensing fees on a yearly basis, and everything is included in that price. Whether it is via email or phone call, they do what needs to be done.

I am still evaluating options, and never close the door on another solution. I have a lab where I do my testing on a smaller scale.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is that people should try this product.

In using this solution, I have learned a lot about our security and what needs to be done.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.