Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Review

Automation of the provisioning engine reduced our manual interactions. I'd like More components to support the active-active model of high availability.

What is most valuable?

The automation that it brings to the enterprise is one of the main things that we looked at.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a 20 year old provisioning system which was built primarily for manual activities. Identify Manager helped us move to a more automated model with fewer manual interactions. This definitely had a lot of added value for us.

What needs improvement?

Keeping up with the market and support for functionality and other core endpoints like Active Directory and Exchange that right now seems to be missing. So it needs a little more work around keeping up with what the industry is going.

We definitely had quite a few challenges getting up and running. Since the initial setup, it's been pretty good. We have some small issues, but overall it's not too bad. It was definitely a challenge getting to that state, though.

It is pretty scalable. We use it in the enterprise as a provisioning engine. We also use it in our external environment on the consumer side. For both these uses, it works pretty well.

One open challenge that I see with the provisioning engine is that there is something lacking in terms of pure high availability. The active-active model is pretty critical for that. Many of the components do support that model. There are subsets that don't. It would be valuable to get that into the product sometime.

There are some really good resources and support. Overall, I've had pretty decent luck with support. Sometimes we do have challenges, but that's getting better.

We are a big enterprise, which means that we’ve done things the old way for such a long time. We were long overdue for investing in a proper provisioning system.

In a way, we had been a big CA customer for a long time. It was a natural fit to leverage what we already had, rather than going and trying to find something else.

Some of the connectors are pretty flexible. It felt like there was a lack of understanding on the capabilities of the endpoints. This ended up being a point of contention. There was a lot of back and forth in discussions about how things should or should not work. That dragged out the project for longer than it should have taken.

We did have one vendor. I’d rather not say which one. They were pretty competent too. In comparison, we thought that CA Identity Manager would be a better fit for us. The skills that we have and our experience with this solution is what made it a better fit than the competition. The partnership and flexibility that CA offer were also pretty important factors in our decision.

What other advice do I have?

Any solution that you pick will have its fair share of challenges. Understand and document what you really want done. You need to define what you want to accomplish in a provisioning solution scenario before you embark to try to achieve it.

More Symantec Identity Governance and Administration reviews from users
...who compared it with NetIQ Identity Governance
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, SailPoint, ForgeRock and others in Identity Management (IM). Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.