Symantec VIP Review
All the platforms we were running were supported.

Valuable Features

VIP is a strong authentication service to securely access the network while working remotely.

Improvements to My Organization

Strong, smarter user authentication with no set date of expiry on the soft tokens issued to remote users. It is an app that sits on the iPhone and generates a token every 30 seconds and combined with a 4 digit PIN makes remote login very simple either from an iPad or a laptop.

Room for Improvement

No areas come to mind at the moment.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

Excellent.

Excellent.

Previously we used RSA SecureID hard tokens for authenticating remote logins which were more expensive and we always used to get user requests to replace them when the expired.

It was fairly straightforward because all the platforms we were running like Microsoft Server 2008, Citrix, Cisco etc. were all supported by VIP.

Implementation Team

We had very good vendor support for our in-house team, so the implementation went very smoothly. Within a month, we were able to migrate our entire fleet from the hard tokens to the VIP access soft tokens for remote login to the network.

ROI

It is added value that cannot be quantified with a monetary ROI figure, but what I can confidently say is that it is a one time investment of soft token licenses that do not expire. The main benefit of Symantec VIP is that it provides strong authentication while keeping it as a very user friendly experience.

Other Solutions Considered

As we already had a good business relationship with Symantec, and they were giving us a very cost effective cloud based option with VIP, we did not even have the need to pursue other options.

Other Advice

These are the benefits of implementing VIP by Symantec as remote login solution

• Cloud based solution
  • Fast migration from hard token solution
  • Reduced complexity
  • Improved productivity
  • Lower costs