Tableau Review

One major area where Tableau fell short for us is authentication

One major area where Tableau fell short for us is authentication. We would like LDAP (or Windows AD) SSO authentication to the server based Tableau product. We also want Tableau to handle authentication methods back to data sources like SQL Server or SAP BW other than a hardcoded ID/password. At this point I think the product falls a little short. Our workaround is dumping data to text files and then integrate in Tableau at that level. That extra step prevents us from looking at Tableau as an enterprise reporting/analytical tool. We have passed this info to Tableau support and are waiting to see how the product develops going forward.

More Tableau reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
4 Comments

author avatarit_user7452 (CEO with 51-200 employees)

For reference, Tableau Server *does* integrate with Windows AD (but not generic LDAP) providing for single sign-on; I'm not sure when this comment was posted, but Tableau has had this capability for at least two years.

Tableau Server is also capable of using Windows Authentication with SQL Server (see http://downloads.tableausoftware.com/quickstart/feature-guides/impersonation_sql.pdf for details). You can 'dump data into text files' if you want to, but this isn't necessary.

author avatarit_user7425 (BI Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees)

We are going live with rel. 8.3.2 and things have not changed all that much since my last review. Yes AD works to server and works when Microsoft DB is datasource. But Tableau Server* still is not able to connect to SAP BW sources, in our environment we don't maintain passwords in SAP. Tableau support team has indicated this may be possible with rel. 9. That would be a major enhancement for us if that works.
*32 bit Tableau Desktop does connect to SAP BW, but this does not work good for collaboration.

We also are finding it a bit difficult to automate user management for projects within a site when one user is an interactor for some projects and an editor for other projects. At this point the default security templates just don't line up with our internal personas.

But we are not giving up. We do recognize the UI development in Tableau as top-tier.

author avatarH.Emre Arıkan

For us big enterprises, Tableau is not suitable as the main BI suite. Ve careful about that. You need a main tool- BO / Cognos etc, and as a niche complementary data discovery tool you may have Tableau.
Semantic layer, account management, data governance, those you cannot govern with Tableau in an enterprise.

author avatarDan Ring
Writer

Kevin -- If a you or another leader at your manufacturing co. are willing to be interviewed for a story on your selection of rel. 8.3.2 Tableau software, email me at dring@techtarget.com, where I work as a news writer. Also, interesting comment on your selection by H. Emre.