Tableau Overview

Tableau is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Visualization tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: Tableau vs Microsoft BI

What is Tableau?

Tableau helps people and organizations become more data-driven as the trusted leader in analytics.

The Tableau platform provides the breadth and depth of capabilities to serve the needs of even the largest global enterprises in a seamless, integrated experience. Tableau is designed to fit, not dictate your data strategy, and adapts to your environment with unmatched flexibility and choice, while meeting the toughest governance and security requirements.

People love using Tableau because it is both powerful and intuitive—and offers a fundamentally different user experience by empowering people of all skill levels to explore and analyze data using visuals and natural language. Tableau has become the standard language of analytics for modern business users and continues to lead the industry with the most passionate and engaged user community in analytics, a customer base with millions of users at more than 80,000 organizations, and a deep commitment to customer-focused innovation

Evaluation Guide: How to choose the right BI & analytics platform

Redefining the role of IT in modern BI world

Tableau is also known as Tableau Desktop, Tableau Server, Tableau Online.

Tableau Buyer's Guide

Download the Tableau Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Tableau Customers

Accenture, Adobe, Amazon.com, Bank of America, Charles Schwab Corp, Citigroup, Coca-Cola Company, Cornell University, Dell, Deloitte, Duke University, eBay, Exxon Mobil, Fannie Mae, Ferrari, French Red Cross, Goldman Sachs, Google, Government of Canada, HP, Intel, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Macy's, Merck, The New York Times, PayPal, Pfizer, US Army, US Air Force, Skype, and Walmart.

Tableau Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tableau pricing:
  • "At $70 per month, I think the price is a bit scary. I have a small consulting firm in Ghana, working in about 15 different African countries, and when it comes to our part of the world, $70 a month is a lot of money for software."
  • "Tableau has core-based and user-based licensing, and it is tied to scalability. The core-based licensing is about you buying a certain number of cores, and there is no restriction on the number of users who can use Tableau. The restriction is only on the number of cores. In user-based subscription licensing, there is a restriction on the number of users. Big companies and government organizations with a lot of users typically go for core-based licensing. User-based subscription licensing is a more common model. It has user roles such as creator, explorer, and viewer. A creator is someone who does the groundwork or development work. An explorer is someone who is into middle management but is not technically savvy, such as a category head. A viewer is like a typical decision-maker in senior management. For each role, Tableau is priced differently. The viewer role has the minimum price, and the creator role has the highest price. This pricing is available on their website. Everybody can see it."
  • "The pricing is $70 per month. You have to pay about $800 or something in that ballpark annually for one license."
  • "The company chose to purchase a creator license for me, which was $70. With that license, you can also be an administrator. We also have 20-25 extra licenses and they cost around $20-$35 each. Those are for normal users who will be viewing the dashboards. Those are monthly charges."
  • "It is a bit difficult for some people when they hear $70.00 per month, as some solutions are available for less than $10.00 or for free."

YAWANTWI-ADJEI
Data Visualization Specialist at Data Catalyst
Lets me train new users quickly, easily, and intuitively

What is our primary use case?

In my consulting firm, I use Tableau for data visualization and data analysis. Alongside Tableau, I also use Python and, on occasion, SPSS. The EU had recommended Tableau for use in some of the statistics offices in Africa, including government institutes in Ghana, and just last week I was using it to do a program for the Ministry of Monitoring and Evaluation. There, I used Tableau to convey selling points to buy Tableau, which is one example of the consulting work I do for clients. I also train others in visual analysis with the use of Tableau. This September, I trained 265 medical… more »

• "Tableau is easy to use. That's the first and most important thing. I not only provide consulting but I also train people to use it, so with its ease-of-use it's not as difficult for me to train executives and management staff, because they don't have the IT background, unlike when I'm using Python."
  • "Overall, the only major frustration that I have had so far is with Tableau Public. I first used Tableau Public when I was building capacity, and when there was a later release to download and you wanted to upgrade, all your work would have to be manually re-entered."

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't tell people to go with Tableau just because it's the tool that I use. I would instead emphasize its remarkable ease-of-use and the way Tableau really listens to their users and comes up with frequent upgrades. I would rate Tableau a nine out of ten.
Sai Krishna J
Manager, BI & Analytics at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
The visualizations bring out patterns buried under a mountain of data. The tool offers unparalleled flexibility in terms of the types of visualisation that one can create.

What is our primary use case?

I've used Tableau primarily to visualize data on asset performance. These visualizations pertain to reliability engineering and I've created charts and dashboards showing key performance indicators such as mean time between failure for different asset components, trend/pattern of asset behavior (different types of events occurred in the asset) prior to failure and asset grouping based on their health and performance. Tableau is so flexible as to enable the user to show events that have occurred over the entire lifespan of each asset. Normally, this requires a bit of data-wrangling but in my… more »
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jerry Paul
Product Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The best analytics platform with great visual capabilities, best stability, and rapid enhancements

What is our primary use case?

We are into the distribution of licenses, and we also have a services arm that takes care of the implementation. Our customers use it for different use cases, such as fleet management, HR analytics, and retail analytics. They also use it for forecasting and predictive modeling. In the EMEA region, the analytics market isn't very mature. Therefore, many customers just restrict themselves to basic statistics in Tableau. At the most, they go for the predictive functionality, which is inbuilt in Tableau. Its deployment depends on the use case. Some customers use it on the cloud, which is Tableau… more »

• "Our customers love the visual capabilities on top of it and the ability to explain and get the required data. There is no other product like Tableau in the business intelligence and analytics space."
  • "Tableau is an end-to-end analytics platform, and it is doing a pretty good job in terms of connecting to the data and analyzing it. It can, however, do better in terms of data management and the ETL features, which are not on the advanced analytics or machine learning side. Tableau Prep is where users would want to see more advancements. They can improve Tableau Prep, which is an analytic platform tool for data cleansing. People who work with data spend most of their time curating the data. Cleaning up the data and getting it ready for analysis is what takes the most time. If Tableau can invest more time in improving the Tableau Prep platform, it would be great. Previously, Tableau didn't have the functionality for writing to a database. So, you couldn't really alter the database tables and write to your database, but they fixed that in one of the very recent releases. However, it isn't really advanced and should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise checking your minimum configuration. There is a specific hardware configuration that you need before installing the software, which varies based on your development, test, and production. You should also decide on whether you need Tableau Online or Tableau Server. Tableau Online supports most of Tableau Server functionalities, but there are some limitations for certain data connections and refreshes. This is something that you need to be aware of while choosing between Tableau Online and Tableau Server. Sometimes, organizations that can spend or have a good budget just go for…
Sreekrishna Mohandas
Chief SAP - ICT (Digital & IT) at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great for following KPIs, good performance and good for presentations

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Tableau for all sorts of analytical tasks. When I was having an ERP SAP practice, we used SAP analytical tools and IBM Cognos plus Tableau for dynamic display session purposes. Tableau ended up being the best solution. That is why we moved over to Tableau. We predominantly implement and use Tableau.

• "The solution makes for very productive and really informative decision making. It can lead the whole business and build a strategy across whole working departments."
  • "The cost of owning the solutions from Tableau is much higher compared to any other analytical solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We're only customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We have not moved to the cloud so far with this product. Only SAP Ariba is on the cloud. The rest of our solutions, all analytical solutions, are on-premise solutions only. Businesses should know what exactly they can do with Tableau. It's not just a visualization center or dashboard. You can contact a lot of assets that are in use - such as institutional analytics, predictive analytics, and prescriptive analytics. It can integrate with any artificial intelligence learning solutions and analytic solutions. That is…
Djalma Gomes, Pmp, Mba
Managing Partner at Data Pine
Data analysis that is easy to use, straightforward and flexible

• "Tableau has improved my organization in a variety of ways, one of its uses being that of data analysis. A feature I have found most valuable is the ease of use and straightforwardness, in addition to the flexibility of Tableau."
  • "An area needing improvement involves the complexity of the product should you need to alter a lot of parameters. If you have technical servers, much interface, different providers and more serious processes, that will be time consuming."
Tariq Raza (MS Certified)
Operations & BI Analyst at American Hospital Dubai
Easy to use with good drag-and-drop functionality and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our data visualization, our different types of data. It is linked to our normal data visualization. It's not usually related to the medical side of the business. However, it is related to the revenue, and financial accounting, and submission on the RCM side.

• "It's very easy to set everything up."
  • "There's no mature ETL tool in Tableau, which is quite a negative for them."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We are currently using the latest version of the solution. I would recommend the solution. If a company really wants to go for some easy solutions, and something that is robust and dynamic this is a great option. Microsoft's Power BI also has its advantages and could be a good option as well, depending on what a company needs. If Mircosoft offered a bit more, we might even consider switching over. However, for us, Tableau is the better option. I'm using Microsoft Power BI also. Therefore, personally, I see the importance of the ETL tool. Microsoft is also…
Gaurav Chakraborty
Senior Team Lead at Peristent Systems
Very interactive with great dashboards and good virtualization

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for HR and energy dashboards. We have made and a few other dashboards for opportunities and accounts.

• "The action feature which Tableau has is very useful for us. If we click on one visualization, it will pass the value to another visualization. That interactivity within different visualizations is the most valuable feature of Tableau."
  • "The pricing is a bit higher than the competition. They'll need to lower it to stay competitive."

What other advice do I have?

Our company has a partnership with Tableau. I've used both on-premises and cloud, depending on the requirements. This particular solution is quite an easy to use product. It's very robust. Even a layman who has previously was not worked with any other BI tools would love to work on this. They will find many things easier to implement. There are a few other tools that are in the market. However, from an implementation point of view, it's very robust. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten overall.
YAWANTWI-ADJEI
Data Visualization Specialist at Data Catalyst
Good dashboards and visualizations, helpful support, and suitable for non-technical users

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for household survey and population, and housing census analysis. I have also been using it for monitoring and evaluation of projects. I provided Data Visualization skills to selected staff of The Gambia Bureau of Statistics (GBoS) in 2018 using Tableau. Previously, SPSS was used to analyze the data but after I introduced them to Tableau, the team was so happy that together we decided to look at the Census 2013 dataset and analyze it using Tableau. I have also used it to develop a key indicator list based on the Living Standards Measurement Survey.

• "Show Me is a feature to help with knowing which chart is an appropriate one for the selected variables, and it makes helps in creating appropriate visuals."
  • "The forecasting feature in Tableau in my view is too limited because it must have dates but I should be able to predict the outcome of an event without having a date as part of the input."

What other advice do I have?

Customers need more insights and hence, they should look into Natural Language Processing (NLP). The ability to analyze text data or focus group discussions or radio phone-in programs would be helpful. When there is a major upgrade and you install it, it wipes off all of the recently used files and newbies get frustrated. If something can be done about it then that will be very helpful
See 40 more Tableau Reviews
Download our free Tableau Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.