Itmwdql1 400x400

Tableau Review
Fast and easy data exploration that needs a fast DB or storing in proprietary format

3,936

Valuable Features:

Easily visualize data.

Improvements to My Organization:

I'm able to prototype charts/dashboards in hours vs days or weeks with other tools (mainly Excel). Doesn't require me to think about the level of aggregation that I'm going to need as it deals with large data sets. Blends disparate datasets together which is awesome for plan vs actual reports where the data is a two different levels of granularity.

Room for Improvement:

Needs a metadata solution plus some enhanced ETL functionality.

Edit: v9 introduced some light metadata solutions that are helpful from Excel.

Use of Solution:

4 years

Stability Issues:

None.

Previous Solutions:

Initially used Tableau at a large electric utility where we were largely using Excel. Utility had bought into SAP BusinessObjects but IT had locked down these tools so much that all we had was Excel. Used to work at BOBJ myself but I haven't used their tools in while. We're going with Tableau right now because it works for our dept and we could get it working quickly and without an enormously long and expensive project to get IT involvement.

Now I work for a small start-up but one of the first things I did was to get a copy of Tableau.

Initial Setup:

Very easy to build with a rudimentary understanding of databases and data.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

So far we're just using the Tableau Desktop, so just the licenses for that. The Reader is free to deploy. We've just started to pilot Server.

Other Advice:

Everyone is always impressed with the charts that Tableau can produce. As well as the ability quickly modify them.

3 visitors found this review helpful
Picture 1222 1358028100Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30

1 Comment

Dd0a055c bff1 4e3f b039 2409242b43ca avatar

very nice software. i ever use.

Like (0)16 May 16
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Tableau?

Our experts can help. 213,954 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.