Itmwdql1 400x400

Tableau Review
Access to data from Oracle and managing large data volumes is easier than Excel.

Valuable Features:

• Visualization
  • Data capacity

Where I'm working, we have many reports developed in Microsoft Excel to present results about the business. However, when we need to work a large volume of data, they are developed in Tableau because access to data from Oracle and managing large data volumes is easier than Excel. All the reports that we develop using Tableau are complimented by our directors, as the information is visualized well.

Improvements to My Organization:

When we need to work with a large volume of data, we can create an extraction, validate data easily, and then present it to our users using Tableau Server or Tableau Reader.

Room for Improvement:

I have difficulty working with many filters on the dashboards, and I'd like to see more options in the "Histories" section. QlikView makes better use of the dashboard filters.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for two years.

Deployment Issues:

In some departments we chose to install Tableau Reader, but it's necessary to create a ticket to update the software for each new version. This process is not good as it disrupts our day-to-day functions.

Stability Issues:

I work with 4GB RAM and rarely I have a problem with it. My OS is 32 bits.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

I always take support from Tableau's forums and communities.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at QlikView.

Other Advice:

It's a great solution to present data, and our directors love to work with it.

1 visitor found this review helpful
Anonymous avatar x30

7 Comments

Luiz felipe mascarenhas li?1414339036

You can use power view with power pivot in order to work with large volume data.

Diego hidalgo li?1423661010
Diego HidalgoReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Tableau works with a large volume of data because , it use BIZQL, this is a private query languaje for data, this algoritms are similar to Columnar NoSql

JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

I agree with the filter functionality needing improvement. Having something similar to the 'Current Selections' box in QlikView would be very helpful for users, as I've found they can sometimes get confused as to what they have filtered down to (using Quick Filters or Keep/Exclude) on a dashboard we've published . Their only option is to 'Revert All' and start from the beginning again.

I'm also curious to know what size of data you are considering to be large volumes. Is this Millions of rows? Tens of Millions?

Like (2)17 March 16
1a13f551 15ab 4f94 af36 d1e3bdfc9ba3 avatar?1457144111

I've already worked with 5 million in my computer (Configuration's Computer specified above) and worked well. I know that SO 64 bits can be better to use more RAM memory.

JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Ah, okay, so not massive, but more than a lot of individuals are working with! I do know that table width also plays a large part in Tableau's performance, as does any sort of data blending.

Like (1)17 March 16
Edwin willems li?1424962734
Edwin WillemsReal User

For small volumes (ie few millions lines), any tool will do. It changes when you're dealing with larger volumes (hundreds of millions of lines and up), or when you want to do really rich discovery. It is then that associative technology such as Qlik will show its strengths.

Like (1)18 March 16
JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Completely agree Edwin. I currently work with both Qlikview and Tableau and the size of data is a very large factor in deciding which tool I'll use for a particular use case. Tableau generally needs some level of aggregation to perform well and that is not always an option.

Like (1)18 March 16
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Tableau?

Our experts can help. 233,932 professionals have used our research on 5,900 solutions.