Itmwdql1 400x400

Tableau Review
If you're evaluating Tableau as a potential data visualization solution, consider these points.

4,150

I've been working between Tableau and Qlikview (depending on use case) and have been jotting down Pros and Cons of each as I come across them.  Many of these, but not all, are centered around some fairly specific UI functionality and limitations that I've come across while trying to deliver on various dashboard solutions.  If you're evaluating Tableau as a potential data visualization solution, some of these points might help with your evaluation, or at least I'm hoping so!  One caveat I will apply to the "Cons" section is some of these may in fact be resolved in the latest version, or may be achieved through some means that I'm just not aware of (though I do generally research pretty extensively before throwing in the towel).

Pros/Strengths

• Multi-dimension Graphs, side by side bars
  • Formulas/Calculations are a familiar structure to many  (IF..THEN.. ELSE)
  • Visualization attributes:  Marks – Color, Size, Label, etc.. Easily Accessible and Intuitive
  • Very good Geo/Mapping capabilities
  • Built in Table Calculations (% of Total, Rank, etc..)
  • Publish to PDF.  Despite trying to encourage users to interact with the live tool, there seems to always be some need for this.
  • Story Creation for presentations.
  • Free Tableau Reader – You can create ‘Packaged Workbooks’ and those with Reader can open the file and manipulate the dashboard.  (No ability to refresh the data)
  • Easy Cube Connection.  QlikView does not have this.
  • Tool Tips (Hovers).  Easy to add all kinds of additional data to hovers.
  • Adaptive sizing based on display resolution.  Also something Qlikview does not do - you must develop for particular display size/dimensions.
  • Drag and Drop Hierarchy creation

Cons

• Small multiples (a.k.a. Trellis charts) are possible only through very hacky means
  • Sparkline Tables are not supported.  There are tutorials on how to accomplish this, but as with small multiples, it is hacky and limited.
  • Heavy data prep needed.  Blending within the tool is clunky and causes performance hit.
  • Sorting on joined data requires hacks.
  • Actions must be created to drive each interaction, and will not work across joined data
  • No easy ‘Clear’ to remove applied filters and/or Exclusions/Keep Only, which makes it sometimes easy to lose sight of how exactly the data has been filtered.
  • Combo charts unavailable without Date dimensions
  • Dynamic column headers/aliases difficult and hacky.  I find this limitation particularly frustrating.  Example use case:  I have two columns - Current Month, & Previous Month.  As these will always be dynamic, I want them instead to display the actual Month as it changes (e.g. Apr-2016, Mar-2016).
  • Can’t format a single measure column in a table (e.g. make one bold or conditional format)
  • Image thumbnails in tables not supported.  In my last two roles this has been a fairly large impediment.  I'm likely not the only one.  Qlikview, SSRS, & Even MS Powerview are able to support this.
  • Large Table reports with many filters (our case was 14 columns, 300K rows, and about 8 quick filters)   to narrow the data set – Don’t bother!  It will be excruciatingly slow even on the server. Tableau will likely say this is not what it is intended for anyway (it's a Data Viz tool, not a Report tool), which is fair, but sometimes it's necessary as part of a larger solution.

Any questions, or comments?  All feedback is welcome.

10 visitors found this review helpful
2b4a8755 6117 440e add8 f06d680c331d avatar?143756247924e1d91c dbec 4a4f b727 2e30675f36ed avatar12ca1ad0 5ed6 49ac 872f 30193157ed0e avatar6fd89054 2c21 4a0b 8318 d537d6b15366 avatar?1453827989Willem bots avatar 1432871088?1432871086Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30

15 Comments

Ddp 8148
Ariel LindenfeldCommunity Mgr

Thanks for your thoughts Jhornber - very interesting!

Like (2)14 June 16
Anonymous avatar x30

Some interesting points. However your review is on 9.2 not 9.3 which has been released for quite some time

Diego hidalgo li?1423661010
Diego HidalgoReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Thanks for your thoughts - very interesting!, I think that it is optimal for small and medium enterprises, and that does not require further analytical work is optimal for end users

Sohel beg li?1414329876
Sohel BegReal UserTOP 20

I still think that the biggest deal-breaker for Qlik is their TCO. Any installation above a thousand users becomes a costly proposition both in terms of infrastructure and licence cost.

JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Correct Rick Cale, the review is not on 9.3 as we've yet to make the upgrade as an organization, which does have some new features (Improved data blending etc.), but to my knowledge, most of what I've identified as limitations in the context of our particular use cases, have not been addressed. And I agree Sohel, the licensing for Qlik can add up very quickly, but there are particular cases where it completely outshines Tableau. And vice versa of course.

Ed dallal li?1425565817
Ed DallalReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Very Interesting-Thanks for the detailed review. For small/Medium businesses I still believe that Qliksense, makes the most "sense" sorry no pun intended, as the desktop license is free of charge and easy to use with similar capabilities to Tableau.

Like (1)15 June 16
JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Ed, I agree! Qliksense is a great option for a smaller business without need for a server implementation (otherwise the cost starts to creep up there with the others.) We've actually used it as well for a few use cases, such as addressing the large 'table/many filters' problem that we encountered in Tableau. Qliksense was able to do this with ease.

Like (1)15 June 16
Picture 1288 1365323206
GaryMReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Have you considered PowerBI in comparison to Tableau and QlikView? If not, why not?

Like (0)15 June 16
JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

GaryM, I have just started experimenting with PowerBI. I did evaluate Powerquery/Pivot/View in my last role but at the time it had too many inter-dependencies and too many limitations when trying to build out the front end. PowerBI does look to have simplified things somewhat, and improved on the design/UI side.

Picture 1288 1365323206
GaryMReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Yes PowerBI is a world of difference from Powerquery/pivot/view - realize those are just Excel plugins, nothing more. PowerBI is both an independent desktop tool like Tableau and Qlikview plus it deploys to the web and soon to on-prem using SSRS server. And it gets updates monthly so you could review it one day and the next it has significant new features. And to top it off - the desktop version and limited cloud version is free. And if that wasn't enough, it integrates both with SSRS and Sharepoint online. No other tool does that - none. Just sayin...

JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

I definitely plan to keep an eye on, and get more familiar with it. The tools we're using within my current employer our fairly entrenched, but I myself am not a drinker of any particular Kool-Aid ;-)

Gareth crawshaw li?1414337963
Gareth CrawshawConsultantTOP 5POPULAR

What I appreciate about the thoughtfulness of this review is it's from someone who seems software agnostic. It's taken me a great deal of time to get to that place myself, but it does make for a far richer experience in BI/Analytics world when you realise that some of the tools are actually complementary and there isn't a silver bullet solution that's appropriate for 100% of the use cases you come up against. Great reviiew Jhornber

Like (2)04 July 16
JhornberReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Thanks BIExpert221! I tend to be very weary of anyone touting a single tool as superior in all cases. I figure they're either on the payroll or incredibly myopic ;-)

Like (2)13 July 16
D9246b53 e695 4d12 a1b1 3416dd0d7494 avatar?1444504725
Orlee GillisCommunity Mgr

Jhornber, I'd love to learn about how you've found PowerBI to be so far (since your discussion here in June). Any key points that are worth mentioning? In addition, what improvements have you seen in its UI?

Like (0)06 October 16
Anonymous avatar x30

Hello help me. I don´t speak english, but I need do a comparation between Pentaho and QlikView. I don´t have experience. thanks. excuse me my English....

Like (0)27 December 16