Itmwdql1 400x400

Tableau Review
Scalable and flexible for producing visualizations.

Valuable Features:

• Flexibility producing visualizations
  • Scalability

Improvements to My Organization:

Anything and everything becomes fact-driven; we don't do a lot by gut feeling.

Room for Improvement:

ETL functionality is limited, which is both a strength & weakness. It would be nice to have Alteryx & Tableau as a package, but I believe Tableau have deliberately stayed out of the "deep" ETL capabilities to "stick to the knitting", which they have done very well.

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for eight years.

Deployment Issues:

Any issues we have encountered have been related to data preparation rather than the tool itself.

Technical support is excellent.

Previous Solutions:

I have historically developed using SAP BusinessObjects and IBM Cognos for visualization and various tools for ETL. I have trialed Qlik and Power BI, but this has a much higher level of maturity at this stage.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was significantly easier than other products I have used.

Implementation Team:

An in-house team implemented it. Your investment needs to be in data preparation, then the implementation of any of these analytics tools is much easier. Typically, I spend between 70 & 90% of project effort on data not the tool. If data is well prepared, the Tableau development is very quick and best handled by the business analysts, rather than any tech personnel.

Other Advice:

To get the best from Tableau you need:

• Data preparation suitable for analytics applications. (This is not Tableau specific, the same is required for pretty much all analytics apps.)
  • People bouncing off each other to get the creative process going. Consider internal show & tells and take advantage of local user groups
  • Subscribe to "Viz of the Day” to get exposure to as many viz's as possible
  • Tableau is (I believe) the best tool for data visualization. Equally consider investing n the best tools for data preparation, such as Alteryx. The combination of best data prep with best analytics capabilities is MUCH more powerful than either without the other.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a reseller, partner, trainer.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Tableau?

Our experts can help. 213,954 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.