Tableau Review

Really an A+ product which can integrate with Mapbox and other WMS services

What is most valuable?

The feature which I value the most about Tableau is its ability to plot nonstandard charts/graphs, such as coxcomb, streamgraph, chord, sankey, and hexbin charts, etc. The map feature is cool, too. For now, it can integrate with Mapbox and other WMS services. I wish in the future there were more choices.

How has it helped my organization?

Unlike most of products which have a limited period for trial use, Tableau Public is free, and because of that, our team is able to hold a regular workshop, in which each team member can have chances to share of what he/she learned from using the tool.

What needs improvement?

I think dashboard and story can still improve. For example, the placement of sheets on dashboard are quite tedious work, especially when the page is long. The automation of adjusting size of sheets has given us a hard time to place sheets neatly on the dashboard, even though the intention is good. As for story, just wish there could be more templates.

Two to three years.

I think Tableau is quite stable, but it is likely to be an effect from another service, such as Web Map Service. Whenever there’s problem with the WMS, Tableau hangs with it.

Not yet.

Fairly good, since there are lots of forums and tutorials on the web which you can find.

We used IBM Cognos back then, but it’s really not easy to use and since it’s an integration of variety of services, it’s quite confusing sometimes. Plus it required training lessons, which aren’t cheap at all.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy.

I think Tableau could try to have different types of pricing and licensing packages, since there are a variety of users with different needs. For example, some users prefer to buy a license for one time only and use the service without upgrade for a long period of time, but some prefer monthly subscriptions.

Besides Cognos, we also evaluated Power BI, SAP Lumira, Pentaho, OBIEE, BO, Spago, etc., but most of them are either too expensive, lack functionality, have limited usage of charts, are hard to use and unfriendly.

What other advice do I have?

It’s really an A+ product. Other than being a customer, we also suggest to our clients this product.