Ubiquiti Wireless Review

Very good cloud management with an easy setup but the stability could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use the solution for Wi-Fi access points. Mostly it's indoors, but sometimes it's outdoors as well.

What is most valuable?

We use the solution for many of our smaller customers and the cloud management aspect of the solution is very good. If you compare it to other vendors that have a controller, it's much easier to manage the cloud-based solution because we travel a lot. It allows us to manage everything from any place.

What needs improvement?

We tried to create an access point with built-in voice and sound that we could use in schools, for example. We tried to create something that could play sounds or messages out of the access points. We wanted to, for example, use it as a school bell instead of using other equipment. It didn't work very well. It turns out when you connect to the Ubiquiti Wireless access point, it's not possible to send simple messages (like what is going on in the canteen, or some news update for the school, etc.). We had to use the on-premises version, as the cloud version wouldn't allow for this.

Ubiquiti has a lot of cool features but not everything is included in the management portal. I'd like to see a bit more added, like sound messages and the camera system. They should be part of the management platform and not part of a standalone system.

I've been using the solution for four years or so.

The stability is okay, but we do have problems if we use it for heavily populated areas (like an airport). We sometimes lose connectivity, but normally we use it for not so populated areas. For a normal-sized school, there's no stability problem. It works very well there because it's relatively small.

We've never had to contact technical support. We fix any problems ourselves.

The initial setup, at least the switches in and the access points, is very easy.

I handle the implementation myself. I'm a WI-FI technician, so other people tend to ask me for help.

We don't pay any licensing costs. You can choose a subscription package it you prefer, or just pay once.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller of Ubiquiti hardware.

We always use the most up-to-date version of the solution and update it all the time. We use the private cloud deployment model. We've also used the on-premises deployment model, however, most clients prefer the private cloud.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.