Ubiquiti Wireless Overview

Ubiquiti Wireless is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless WAN tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN: Ubiquiti Wireless vs Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN

What is Ubiquiti Wireless?
Ubiquiti Wireless is connecting Everyone, Everywhere
Ubiquiti Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Ubiquiti Wireless Customers
NASCAR Grand-AM, Maritime Parc, Outdoor Music Festival, British Armed Forces, Arcadia School District, Moscow - Enforta

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubiquiti Wireless pricing:
  • "The price is reasonable and there's only a one-time payment. We have had this for a long time and I haven't seen any additional fee after paying for the installation."
  • "In South Africa, for some Cisco access points, it will cost you 10,000 Rand ($690 USD), whereas with Ubiquity that same access point will cost you less than 3,000 Rand ($210 USD)."
  • "Right now the product is less expensive and of higher quality than other solutions."
  • "The product is a very good price."
  • "If you do not have a big budget, you can use Ubiquiti, it is cost-effective."

Ubiquiti Wireless Reviews

Walter Shelver
Owner at CableWeb
Apr 7, 2020
Extremely easy to set up and has never failed on me

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for wireless networking but we've done more work on the industrial side. I've done work in medical, construction, and business corporates. There are quite a couple of corporate installations as well, but mostly in warehousing and that kind of thing.

• "Ubiquiti Wireless is extremely easy to set up."
  • "o if you are setting up any other third party product or any other different product, it sometimes can be a bit difficult. With Ubiquiti, you need to set up because you can adopt the product and that's it, where if it's not a Ubiquiti product it can sometimes be a difficult setup."

What other advice do I have?

My first point of advice is, don't get into it blindly. Although, it's easy to set up, don't get into it blindly. Do a little bit of research on the product before you first open the box because it is not like other products in the sense that it's very easy to set up, but you still have to have a bit of savvy around it. There's no other product in the world that I know of that does the whole adoption setup and control set up the way Ubiquiti does. Other products handle things differently, NETGEAR does it differently. A bit of advice is, go and look at how the adoption process on the switches…
SarmadAlwakeel
IT Manager at Cyber IT Solutions
Oct 27, 2019
Heavy-duty hardware that is very easy to use and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for point to point. For example, if we have an ISP and you want to feed a company with bandwidth, we use the "add point to point" feature for wifi. We use it as an access point, but if you are talking about manifestation, this is for a very limited range, evaluated in a limited number of people. If you want to have a real ISP business, you need a different solution. It can be installed inside a system, and then you use that setup to broadcast a signal. It's very stable in most cases if we don't have Microsoft. We use the on-premises version of the solution.

• "It's very easy to use. The hardware is very easy to use, compared to Microsoft. Microsoft is more complicated. It has software that is okay if you are familiar with it. In my opinion, Ubiquiti hardware is more heavy duty then Microsoft."
  • "They should make more advanced features for the power users. I am a technician and I am functional, but I do need some features that I find only in Microsoft."

What other advice do I have?

They have a product that is used a lot in Iraq homes, because they use it to get an education, through the internet from an access point. This is used by all people in Iraq. There are some other companies like TP-Link, but TP-Link is not stable. TP-Link has many issues in their products. So you can use this as a normal user in a house and move up to companies even, in some cases. Depending on the router type, you might have to reset it every couple of days or every couple of months. I would rate this as nine out of ten, where Cisco would be a ten.
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Walter Shelver
Owner at CableWeb
Oct 28, 2019
Cost-effective, good security, and the adoption process makes it easy to set up and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the wireless solutions that we set up for my clients. Normally, we do office wireless solutions. I've done one or two home wireless solutions for people that can afford Ubiquity products. Mostly, we've implemented Ubiquity in warehouses. I've also installed it in a medical scenario and in a restaurant solution.

• "One of the nice features is the backup version control."
  • "Better third-party integration would be helpful because often, Ubiquity is a product that customers choose after they already have something else from another vendor like HPE."

What other advice do I have?

You have to keep your switches up to date in order to support all of your wireless components. Normally, all of the firmware is the latest version. When it comes to home solutions, people tend to shy away from Ubiquity. They look at products like TP-Link or Tenda, which are entry-level products. These products are good, but they are aimed at the home market. They're aimed at being straightforward plug-and-play, without any real security worries. Ubiquity is more premium, which is why it is more corporate or for more experienced customers. While this product is good for small businesses, I…
Henk Uittenbogaard
CEO at AnyWi Technologies BV
Reseller
Oct 27, 2019
Enables us to do testing and development with routing data over wireless networks

What is our primary use case?

We want to have full control over the product so we use it on-premises. Our main customer base is in the city of Leyden for free outdoor wifi usage. We have about 100 access points around the city. We do interlinks and point links, as well as in harbors, campsites, and anywhere there is demand locally. We do service other cities, but Leyden is the main city. We do testing and development with routing data over wireless networks.

• "This is a high-quality solution that allows us to provide wifi access points in challenging areas."
  • "There is really nothing wrong with the product but there are ways the utility and features can be expanded to meet future demands."

What other advice do I have?

We are primarily concerned with outdoor use. There is another provider we are using for services to deal with privacy regulations in Europe. That is still a question to investigate for using Ubiquiti to comply with European regulations. We are currently using our own hardware for management. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, Ubiquiti Wireless is an eight. There are some things that can be improved.
Alexander Ernst
IT Manager at IMP Bautest AG
Oct 24, 2019
Reasonably priced, easy to use, stable and reliable

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubiquiti Wireless for WiFi deployment in my flat in Switzerland where I have one access point and two switches. The flat is about 80 to 100 square meters, so one access point is enough. I have also installed it in my parents' two-family house where there are four access points. The house has three floors so requires more access points to cover the whole area. A lot also depends on the thickness of the building's walls. If you want good coverage and you're using the 5Ghz frequency band, I think you need one access point per 60 square meters.

• "Ubiquiti Wireless is a reasonably priced, easy to use, stable and reliable product."
  • "The product lacks some security features."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an 8 out of 10.
Marzio Zolla
President at EMPSOL SRL
Reseller
Nov 20, 2020
Excellent pricing, good functionality, and very scalable

What is our primary use case?

We've used this solution for consulting and industrial companies.

• "The pricing of the solution is excellent. It offers a great value."
  • "The solution should offer simpler management for guests. That would be helpful in the hospitality industry, for example."

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers. You don't need to have a relationship with the product in order to sell it. In other cases, you need to be certified. We have certification with Fortinet and Cisco Meraki as well. Whether or not we use the latest version of the solution depends on the clients and their needs. Ubiquiti has both on-premise and cloud. It has a controller whereby you can access the cloud. The solution is best suited for small to medium-sized enterprises. I'd recommend the solution. I use it myself, and you can't beat the price. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's quite good.
Illia Rudenko
Manager at Delta X
Oct 29, 2020
Simple management, good connectivity between access points, and pretty scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for wireless office or home networks.

• "Their hardware is very good."
  • "In Ukraine at least, it's a problem when it comes to buying the hardware. For example, I made a request for 20 switches a few months ago. The solution needs to have worldwide availability."

What other advice do I have?

We're pretty big users. We have a 1,000 server center. We're using the latest version of the solution. We use a hardware deployment with UDM pro or Cloud Key. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten, simply due to a few problems we have obtaining the hardware.
EduardoRomero
MIT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Feb 9, 2021
Useful dual band, low cost, and scalable, but old firmware unstable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for big houses and sometimes in hotels.

• "Having dual-band is important. Having compatibility with very old equipment on certain frequencies, for example on 2.4 and 5.8."
  • "I would like to see more cloud features that some of the other competitors such as Cisco Meraki have that are very nice."

What other advice do I have?

Those wanting to purchase solutions try and balance between the price and features, with this solution it is very cheap in comparison with Cisco and Ruckus. For example, if you are looking for houses best suited, the high-end houses are a good fit. For companies, they might have a larger budget to invest in more expensive equipment. Ubiquiti for houses is more than enough. I rate Ubiquiti Wireless a seven out of ten.
See 9 more Ubiquiti Wireless Reviews
Product Categories
Wireless WAN
Download our free Ubiquiti Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.