Untangle NG Firewall Review

Good VPN features, helpful reporting and alerting, built-in content filtering, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for small offices with 12 users.

Most of our clients are small businesses with approximately four to fifteen users. We have one customer with approximately 20 users.

What is most valuable?

We do a lot of Voice over IP, which is one of the features that I like about it. The firewall works really well with Voice over IP.

They have a command center that makes it easy to log into and see all of your appliances nationwide.

The reporting is wonderful. You can run reports and they are very helpful.

The alerting is great. It will send you alerts when there is any nonsense going on. For example, you will get alerts on DDoS types of attacks.

It has wonderful content filtering built into it. They also have a cap portal feature that is pretty good. It has several useful interesting features included.

The VPNs are great too, they are wonderful.

We set up RDP on our clients, but it's Atlanta LAN, the LAN RDP. If you get on the VPN, then the allow group, you can actually RDP, you make the VPN connection to it. You can also then do a site-to-site VPN and they make it very simple. Overall, the VPN features are wonderful.

The zero deployments are wonderful with this. With Zero deployment, you don't have to touch the firewall. When the firewall arrives on-site, you have a smart hands technician to unplug the old one and you plug in the new one. It automatically downloads the configuration offline. No technician will ever have to physically touch that firewall. It can all be done through the command center once the firewall connects to it. Everything is automatically added once you purchase it and it will download the proper configuration for that site.

What needs improvement?

They don't have any feature that allows you to drop the session. If you log in and you see your ARP table with many connections and you want to drop one for some reason or another, such as troubleshooting, or It's an employee that shouldn't be online and you want to remove them, you don't have the ability to click on a session and terminate it.

I have been using Untangle NG Firewall for two years.

We use the most up-to-date version.

All of our firewalls are always up-to-date through the command center. We always update them as soon are they are released.

Untangle NG Firewall works great. I have no issues with the stability and I have yet to replace a box.

It's fully scalable. It's great for large corporations and it's great for small businesses.

They even make a version of their Untangled box for residential use.

Overall, scaling is pretty easy.

The technical support is wonderful. They are all US-based out of Colorado.

When you need help, you are not talking to a level-one technician; you are speaking with an engineer.

They don't have to remote into your computer, they can enable the back end. They have the ability to enable a remote session to where they can remote inject to the firewall and see what is going on and try to help you.

We used SonicWall. The reason why we stopped using SonicWall is that it is expensive to get a single pane of glass with SonicWall to have the heads-up on issues.

I like the licensing model and the pricing model that Untangle has compared to SonicWall.

I like the hardware as a service feature that Untangle has. SonicWall didn't have it at the time that I was using it but they may have it now.

I like the general use of the appliances. It is a little easier to navigate through, in my opinion, than it is with SonicWall.

The site-to-site VPN is just as easy to set up between SonicWall and Untangle. They both make it easy to do site-to-site VPN.

They both make it easy to set up regular VPNs.

The difference between Untangle and SonicWall is, SonicWall has an SSL VPN, where you go to a website versus Untangle that has an application installed on the PC for VPN. If you have a lot that you need to deploy, you have to touch the client's machines and set it up for them, versus just having a website to go to, to sign in. That's one of the major differences between the two.

You can have templates that simplify the process.

They will back up the firmware for you to configure. Your firewall is backed up all of the time on the command center. If you make a change and it's bad, you can push the bad config down, and put the old one back into it. Or before you make a change, you can back up the config into the cloud and the controller, then you can make the change.

With Zero deployment, so you can have a general template that you push onto all of the devices. If you need to dropship one to somebody somewhere that's not local, just get a smart hands tech. They can plug it in and once it hits the internet, it automatically downloads its config off of the server.

We maintain this solution ourselves, but technical support will help if we need help with anything.

One person can maintain a whole fleet. You can have thousands of them out there and one person could easily maintain them because it's all in one portal, and all of the alerts get generated.

If there is an issue then you get an email with an alert or a text message letting you know that there is something wrong. It makes it easy to deal with.

The pricing model is better than with SonicWall.

I am not able to discuss the pricing specifically because pricing with every partner is different.

What other advice do I have?

The reason we chose this solution is because of their support. It is hands down the best support that I have had with a firewall. I don't have to open a case first. With SonicWall, you have to call a level one, they open a case, and they transfer you to an engineer.

With Untangle, you can call or email support, or the community. They have wonderful community support for everything. They have a log of knowledge-based articles.

I would rate the support a ten out of ten.

It doesn't matter what company you go with for our firewall. They're all going to have their caveats that somebody isn't going to like.

There are features that you might like on one that you may not like on the other, but I look at the overall simplicity of it, the overall usability and ease of use, and also that it's easy to train a technician on how to set them up. They are not that difficult.

I would rate Untangle NG Firewall a ten out of ten.

More Untangle NG Firewall reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Untangle NG Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.