Untangle NG Firewall Review

Great web filters and SSL inspector but not possible to block a range of IPs

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for internet and email filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

Right now the network is well maintained. Initially, we were blacklisted because of spamming, but that was by our ISP and that is now corrected.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found the most useful are the web filter, the captive portal, the SSL inspector, and the ad-blocker. They're awesome.

What needs improvement?

There quite a number of modules I've not used. For the web filter, I think they can do better especially on the free model. They have a free and a licensed model. If you use the free model, is not that effective. You have to use the commercial module for you to get effective results.

Functionality wise, they should try to put more options on some of the modules like web filtering capability. I know it has the capability to block specific IPs but I have not seen the capability to block a specific range of IPs. For example, you want to block a range of between 50 and 100 of an IP, I haven't seen that capability. I believe there are more functionalities which they can improve and prevent for security and management of internet within a corporate environment.

For example, I've seen firewalls where, let's say for example there's an infected machine within your network, they give you an alert or automatically block it from your network or mailing system. There're a number of functionalities missing in Untangle. It needs improvement but I believe every solution needs improvement.

I've been using the solutions for 2 years.

The solution is very stable. I've never had issues with it.

The solution is pretty scalable. We have about 50 people using the solution.

In terms of customer support, so far I've not needed to contact them because I've not had any issues with the solution.

Previously, I didn't use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I can't remember how long the deployment originally took. It was less than an hour, most likely. I downloaded then contacted Untangled NG directly. I did it myself with the help of support.

We actually have 30 staff, that's why I have 50 licenses. The modules are licensed on a yearly basis, and it's not really expensive. But the only problem is they sell it in a modular form. If you want the web filter, it has its own cost. If you want the captive portal, they sell that too. If you want the active directory connector, it has its own cost. So, if you were to bundle all the modules, it will end up being very expensive.

Before choosing, I just did a bit of research on the internet to try to figure out how I can be able to use some of these products to sort out my issues and I bumped into Untangle. I know about other products, like Check Point, but I chose Untangle in particular to solve the problem and the issues I was having at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

For the NG firewall, it works better for just filtering and managing the internet, but it will not work on other security areas. It will not act like a perimeter firewall. For the users who are looking for that kind of solution, I think there are different solutions out there for every security issue you're looking at. It has worked perfectly for the need I was looking for. But I wouldn't use it as the main firewall for the network.

I would rate the solution a 7 out of 10.

1 visitor found this review helpful