Untangle NG Firewall Review

A stable solution that runs well on generic hardware, but it needs better web content filtering

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for filtering features.

What is most valuable?

The Untangle firewall is a software firewall, so it runs on generic hardware. We found that was probably the best feature, and it's why we chose it when we started using it three years ago.

What needs improvement?

The web content filtering needs improvement.

I've used the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is a bit limited.

We never had to use technical support. We had engineers in-house who could keep it running without needing external help. As we've never used support for Untangle, I would not be able to comment on any general experience with them.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I can't remember the cost because I'm not in finance. I know my company's very cost-conscious, and therefore the cost must have been very reasonable. Otherwise, my organization would not have taken that product.

What other advice do I have?

We stopped using the solution in April 2019. The web content filtering feature of Untangle was not giving us what we wanted. The reason we moved away from Untangle is that it was not giving us the features we needed for our internal use.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten. I would recommend the solution for small or medium-sized enterprises.