vCenter Orchestrator Review

Workflow automation will make your daily tasks easier, but it needs bulk deployment capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I have used this solution through all of the generations from 4.1, 5, 5.1, 5.5, 6, 6.5, and 6.7.

Our primary use case was for the deployment of a virtual machine with a specific naming convention. I have my own naming convention for applications such as Active Directory.

The deployment model depends on the environment. For VMware, I have only used it in private cloud deployments. In Asia, it is a public cloud using Microsoft Azure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is workflow automation. I was interested in data and provisioning servers.

What needs improvement?

The migration from site-to-site needs to be improved.

It should be easier to automate tasks in bulk, such as instantiating several VMs.

I would like to be able to automate RDMs for clusters.

This solution needs to have more built-in workflows.

I have been using this solution for about eight years.

For many of the algorithms it was stable, but we had some problems. I think that it is more of a management issue, so I would rate it at eighty percent stable.

This solution is scalable.

The technical support for this solution is good.

I used another solution prior to this one, but it was not for VMware. It was for Microsoft VMM.

We also use an Oracle solution for private clouds. We did not switch. It depends on the user environment.

When you initially set up this solution, you implement your own workflows. It would be easier if they had more built-in.

The deployment takes not longer than thirty minutes.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that Orchestrator will ease your life in your tasks. Once you teach yourself this product, it will make difficult jobs relatively easy.

It is a good solution, but it needs the capability of bulk deployment.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.