Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Review

Easy to use, helpful notifications, and you have control over retry attempts when jobs fail

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam for backing up our entire infrastructure, which is running on a hyper-converged solution. We back up our Windows servers to disk and to tape.

How has it helped my organization?

Originally, we were just using Veeam for replication. Now, we are using it for backup, as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use. At one glance of the console, you can see how your backup and replication jobs are being carried out.

Notifications are available for when the backup job is completed or if there are errors.

You can set the number of retry attempts, which is helpful. It gives us comfort because even if the tape drive is being used by something else then you can always retry the job afterward. This is an advantage over some of the other products that I have tried. Rather than retry the job if it fails, you have to wait for the next scheduler to launch.

What needs improvement?

If you are doing an AIX backup then you have to use the CLI because it doesn't appear on the console, the way that Windows and Linux jobs do. It is something that I was looking for and was told that Veeam supported, but when I tried it, I found that it was not implemented well. This is actually why we are using different backup solutions. One is for the AIX part, whereas the others are for the virtualized environment that includes Windows and Linux servers.

One of the biggest issues that we ran into during our implementation was that you cannot use two solutions for the same tape library.

One handy feature that Infrascale has is that if the server fails then you can boot it up directly from the appliance, rather than having to restore it to a machine, first. That is very helpful.

We have been using the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows for the past two years.

Scalability-wise, I think that this product will meet our needs for the coming years. I expect that it will last until I either need to change the version or the products that I need to back up and replicate.

Everything on our infrastructure is being backed up, either as a full backup or incrementally. There are approximately 80 virtual machines. We do plan on increasing usage in the future.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate the technical support a four.

We are using several backup solutions that include Veeam, NetBackup, and Infrascale. We use NetBackup with AIX because it has a nice GUI where you can see the jobs that have been launched, whether they succeeded or failed, and so on. With other products, you have to log in to each of the AIX servers, go through the logs, and figure out why the jobs didn't complete.

The initial setup is straightforward. Our deployment was completed in about two hours, during which we even tested out different policies to ensure that it was working properly.

Because only one solution can use our tape library, we had to break it up into zones where NetBackup uses one half and Veeam uses the other. Aside from this, our setup was straightforward.

We had a consultant on-site to assist us with the deployment. They were from a company named Store System, which is one of the companies that we often work with.

The licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis, and the fees are much lower than what I pay for NetBackup.

What other advice do I have?

There are many advantages to using this product. That said, there is still a problem with AIX integration. The native AIX backup client is a really poorly designed system and is unusable.

More Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows reviews from users