Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Review

Instant recovery feature enables you to recover a virtual machine in less than a minute

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the product is mostly for backup and associated features.

How has it helped my organization?

We think it improves our options for providing solutions for our clients.

What is most valuable?

My favorite feature in this solution is instant recovery, where you can recover a virtual machine in less than a minute. It is no trouble at all and works very well.

It is very easy to fix stuff with it and we have no problems at all.

What needs improvement?

Generally, I think it is a good product and there is not so much to add. There are a few places where it can be improved. One place where the product can be improved is the update time. Updating sometimes gives us a problem by taking too long or causing other problems. It's not as straightforward as it should be.

I would like to have an app for connecting with my mobile and my laptop. It would be nice if I can just look at it with a mobile device from home and more than one way to connect so I would not have to always use one device.

We have been using the solution for about three years.

Veeam is very stable. We never have problems with stability.

It's not very scalable — or it should be easier to scale. You really have to get to know the product and to go into configuration details and research what each feature does. Once you have gotten used to it, it's very easy to use, but it is not so easy at first.

We did have a reason to call the tech support line once and they really helped us out. They did not waste time getting around to helping us and delivered a solution quickly. A fast turn-around from support is important. So, considering that experience, I am completely satisfied with the product's technical support.

We are encouraging clients to switch to Veeam because it is better than several other products we have recommended in the past. We mostly used to use Veritas Backup Exec. We think that Veeam is a better solution.

We found the initial setup to be pretty complex. I think it took us about a month to get the whole thing configured right in the initial installations.

We are consultants so generally, we do the implementations for ourselves and clients.

Because we buy licenses for a longer-term — in our case we have chosen to go with three years — that gives us a discount and it's not so expensive. The longer the term for your subscriptions the more discount you get per year. I think you can go anywhere from one to five years.

When we chose to move to Veeam we were really just comparing it to our previous solution which was Veritas Backup.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate Veeam an eight. To me, this means that I would recommend it to all of our clients and we are in the process of taking most of our clients onto Veeam. It is a really, really good product, but it is not perfect. But we are recommending now to many of our clients that they move to Veeam when it is an appropriate time to change their licenses.

So far, Veeam is handling all the virtual machines for one client and another client is picking up twenty licenses. We have convinced them that it is a good product.