Vertica Review

Low cost, high performance with large scale queries, and integrates well in an enterprise setting

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we provide products for our customers.

Our clients are using this solution in two ways; one is for a data warehouse, and the second is for analytics in the database.

What is most valuable?

The data warehouse has exceedingly high performance and has the ability to do large scale queries very effectively. It fits well in large enterprises.

All features are valuable. It's a combination of capabilities that's all in one place, which is incredibly powerful.

For me, it's performance, scalability, low cost, and it's integrated into enterprise and big data environments.

What needs improvement?

Some of our small to medium-sized customers would like to see containerization and flexibility from the deployment standpoint. They don't currently offer this as a platform as a service. Snowflake is offering this capability.

They're available in the cloud. They're available on every cloud, but they're not available as a managed platform as a service offering.

We have been dealing with Vertica for two years.

We use both version 9.3 and version 10. Version 10 is the latest one.

Vertica is a stable solution, it's rock solid. Production workloads being run on it are super steady. It's high availability, massively parallel processing. Nodes go down and you don't even notice.

This is a scalable solution. For example, if we look at Uber drivers, they are able to monitor the position and availability of the drivers and match that against the number of customers for every customer and every driver worldwide globally.

They do a geospatial analysis and calculate their search pricing. They are defined by geographical boundaries, they are defined by where the people are and where the drivers are. This is done for every city in the world for every driver. That gives you an idea of the scale they are able to do in this particular use case.

This gives you the idea of the scale, the performance, and the ability to do analytics in the database. They do this so much more cost-effectively than they would on any other platform.

Technical support is extremely good. They know the product and they're very good.
I don't have any complaints regarding technical support.

Vertica is known for its ease of administration. I would say that the initial setup is easier than most.

The price varies completely. Cost information is available publically where you can compare with other solutions.

From a cost perspective, the software is less than most of its competitors.

Customers save money by a smaller hardware footprint, fewer nodes, less storage, lower-cost storage, and no appliances. So it is typically a lot less money than an Oracle, Teradata, or Snowflake.

Overall, they are highly competitive when it comes to pricing.

What other advice do I have?

The customers love them. They absolutely love them.

Before implementing this solution, make sure that it is on the list and that you evaluate it.

I would rate Vertica a ten out of ten.

More Vertica reviews from users