Vertica Reviews

Filter by:Reset all filters
Alberto Guisande
Director at Decision Science
Nov 07 2019

What is most valuable?

Vertica's most outstanding features are the compression rates achieved and the speed of access of high volume data.

How has it helped my organization?

Previous to Vertica, some analysis could not be made because of the amount of data needed. Vertica allowed us to take those volumes and process them at a very high speed.

What needs improvement?

* Support is an area where it could get better. * Promotion/marketing must be improved, even though it is a very useful product at very good price, it is not as "popular" as it should be.

I used Hadoop as the first approach. However, Vertica provided the best of both worlds (huge amounts of data and speed of access for analytics).

What other advice do I have?

Do a good volumetric analysis to manage the storage needed.

We evaluated Exasol, but it came out to be too expensive for the use case.
Fahd Mirza Chughtai
Cloud Architect, Oracle ACE, Oracle DBA at Pythian
Apr 24 2018

What is most valuable?

HPE Vertica is a unique solution as it handles a huge magnitude of data with matchless speed and simplicity. One feature, which has really benefited us, is the scalability offered by Vertica as it has… more»

How has it helped my organization?

Its analytics has enabled Pythian's clients to get the business insights as quick as they wanted. Its lower maintenance has also improved the ROI.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be improved with more examples of commands and step-by-step scenarios.

Read the fine print carefully.

NA

What other advice do I have?

First, analyze your business requirements and if the analytics, scalability, and lower maintenance are your requirements then go for HPE Vertica.
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Oracle, Teradata and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: February 2020.
399,540 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luis Henriquez
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 14 2019

What is most valuable?

It maximize cloud economics for mission-critical big data analytical initiatives.

How has it helped my organization?

* We gain insights into data in real-time with blazing, fast SQL analytics across exabytes of data. * It maximizes cloud economics with Eon Mode by scaling cluster size to meet variable workload demands. * It leverages machine learning and… more»

What needs improvement?

It needs integration with multiple clouds.

It is fast to purchase through the AWS Marketplace. The pricing and licensing depend on the size of your environment and the zone where you want to implement.

What other advice do I have?

It is a complete solution and a also good solution for EC2 instances. I have not tried to integrate it with other products.
Dan Wities
Bi Group Manager at Intuit Inc.
Jun 13 2018

What is most valuable?

* Its projections and encoding are excellent tools for tuning large volumes. * The product is simple and elegant. * It has excellent written documentation. I am able to answer any question by querying on Google.

How has it helped my organization?

It is tremendously scalability, with excellent performance. Vertica gives knowledgeable users and DBAs excellent tools for tuning.

What needs improvement?

You need to know what you are doing to get the most out of Vertica. If you do not utilize the tuning tools like projections, encoding, partitions, and statistics, then performance and scalability will suffer. It would be great if this were a managed service in AWS.
Srikanth Potluri
User
Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jun 13 2018

What do you think of Vertica?

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for compressed data store, fast reporting, and self healing analytical data workloads. It also helps with big data ingestions, processing, and reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

Bulk loads, batch loads, and micro-batch loads have made it possible for our organization to process near real-time ingestions and faster analytics.

What is most valuable?

The tool for performance tuning and recommendations Any novice user can tune vertical queries with minimal training (or no training at all).

What needs improvement?

It should provide a GUI interface for data management and tuning. Monitoring tools need to be lightweight. They should not take up heavy resources of the main server.

Ben Santos
Sr. Business Intelligence Analyst / Developer with 10,001+ employees
Jul 10 2019

What is most valuable?

This most valuable feature is the database designer, which helps significantly improve our storage footprint.

How has it helped my organization?

Eighty percent of the ETL operations have improved since implementing this solution. Complex queries are challenging to improve.

What needs improvement?

There is serious performance degradation for large datasets. Fact-to-fact joins on multi-billion record tables perform poorly. Star schema joins also perform poorly if the fact tables reach more than one billion records and the dimension tables reach more than one million records.

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About Vertica

399,540 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Vertica Questions

What is Vertica?

Micro Focus Vertica is the most advanced SQL database analytics portfolio built from the very first line of code to address the most demanding Big Data analytics initiatives. Micro Focus Vertica delivers speed without compromise, scale without limits, and the broadest range of consumption models. Choose Vertica on premise, on demand, in the cloud, or on Hadoop. With support for all leading BI and visualization tools, open source technologies like Hadoop and R, and built-in analytical functions, Vertica helps you derive more value from your Enterprise Data Warehouse and data lakes and get to market faster with your analytics initiatives.

To learn more about Micro Focus Vertica Advanced Analytics, visit our website.

Also known as
Micro Focus Vertica, HPE Vertica, HPE Vertica on Demand
Vertica customers

Cerner, Game Show Network Game, Guess by Marciano, Supercell, Etsy, Nascar, Empirix, adMarketplace, and Cardlytics.

Read Archived Reviews
BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Oracle, Teradata, and more!