Vertica Overview

Vertica is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Snowflake: Vertica vs Snowflake

What is Vertica?

Micro Focus Vertica is the most advanced SQL database analytics portfolio built from the very first line of code to address the most demanding Big Data analytics initiatives. Micro Focus Vertica delivers speed without compromise, scale without limits, and the broadest range of consumption models. Choose Vertica on premise, on demand, in the cloud, or on Hadoop. With support for all leading BI and visualization tools, open source technologies like Hadoop and R, and built-in analytical functions, Vertica helps you derive more value from your Enterprise Data Warehouse and data lakes and get to market faster with your analytics initiatives.

To learn more about Micro Focus Vertica Advanced Analytics, visit our website.

Vertica is also known as Micro Focus Vertica, HPE Vertica, HPE Vertica on Demand.

Vertica Buyer's Guide

Download the Vertica Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Vertica Customers

Cerner, Game Show Network Game, Guess by Marciano, Supercell, Etsy, Nascar, Empirix, adMarketplace, and Cardlytics.

Vertica Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Vertica pricing:
  • "It's difficult today to compete with open-source solutions. In these areas, there is a lot of competition and the price of this solution is a bit pricy."
  • "From a cost perspective, the software is less than most of its competitors."

Vertica Reviews

Sean O'Riordan
Senior Database Architect at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Sep 18, 2020
Superior performance in speed and resilience makes this a very good warehousing solution

What is our primary use case?

We are very happy to have a good warehouse solution that we can run on-premises. Next year we will start testing it on the cloud so we can progress to a hybrid solution. We would like to have Vertica in the cloud integrating with our data lake. We could go with another cloud solution but Vertica has been a good solution for us so far and we hope the cloud product is as good and flexible. On-premises, Vertica would still be used as our data warehouse solution. That would keep us where we know that the cost for the hardware is relatively reasonable where we have customers running large number of… more »

• "Speed and resiliency are probably the best parts of this product."
  • "The geospatial functionality could be designed better."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give others who are considering this solution is what I always say for all products: you should heavily test your use cases and data with the product. There are different versions of software and there are always new software solutions. You always should do an exhaustive performance testing from the point of view of any database product. Better to let the product speak for itself. Test several vendor's products if possible. To be honest, it is hard to see too many issues with Vertica as a solution. I find a few weaknesses in it, but I think that is the same with all…
JelsonGhigonetto
Creator and Manager of Intelligent Water Loss Management Models at Qintess
Dec 31, 2020
Enhanced capabilities, good customer service, large data scalability and stable

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a BI solution that includes machine learning. Our company is involved in the distribution of water and we use it to capturing data for several points and to discover where there might have been a loss of drinkable water. There is a problem with the water distribution because the company that I'm working for has an index of 32% of water loss during the process of the distribution. These losses can be from a different source. It can be from leakage, it can be an error or on the meter read which can have many issues, sometimes the problem occurs in different hours depending on the… more »

• "The solution has great capabilities. The tool that instructs the internal database forward is easy to use and is very powerful."
  • "They could improve on customer service."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is used by several big companies such as Bank of America, Uber, and Facebook. Where you need a BI with intelligence. We use the solution because it is very good, you can make interconnections with anything to collect the data, any type of data. I have tried other products and they did not fit as well as this one did, I recommend Vertica. I rate Vertica a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Oracle, Teradata and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: December 2020.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mike Walker
Director - Big Data, IoT and Analytics at Benchmark Corp
Reseller
Sep 15, 2020
Low cost, high performance with large scale queries, and integrates well in an enterprise setting

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we provide products for our customers. Our clients are using this solution in two ways; one is for a data warehouse, and the second is for analytics in the database.

• "For me, It's performance, scalability, low cost, and it's integrated into enterprise and big data environments."
  • "Some of our small to medium-sized customers would like to see containerization and flexibility from the deployment standpoint."

What other advice do I have?

The customers love them. They absolutely love them. Before implementing this solution, make sure that it is on the list and that you evaluate it. I would rate Vertica a ten out of ten.
Teddy Elias
Senior Manager, Systems and Network Engineering at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Nov 29, 2020
Improved my organization's functionality and performance

• "It has improved my organization's functionality and performance."
  • "We are looking for a cheaper deployment for the solution. Although we did a lot of benchmarks, like Redshift. We tried Redshift, it didn't work. It didn't work out for us as well."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering Vertica is to go for it. Nothing is missing. I would rate it a ten out of ten. The only issues are support and the price.
Alberto Guisande
Director at Decision Science
Top 5Popular
Sep 7, 2020
Allows us to take volumes and process them at a very high speed

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is advanced analytics over huge amounts of data. Vertica provides high speed access to high volumes.

• "Vertica's most outstanding features are the compression rates achieved and the speed of access of high volume data."
  • "Allows us to take volumes and process them at a very high speed."
  • "Support is an area where it could get better."
  • "Promotion/marketing must be improved, even though it is a very useful product at very good price, it is not as "popular" as it should be."

What other advice do I have?

Do a good volumetric analysis to manage the storage needed.
Ben Santos
Sr. Business Intelligence Analyst / Developer at DXC
Jul 10, 2019
Has improved the majority of our ETL operations, but performance degrades seriously for large datasets

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our data warehouse. It handles our analytics and we have power users connected.

• "Eighty percent of the ETL operations have improved since implementing this solution."
  • "Fact-to-fact joins on multi-billion record tables perform poorly."
Vironica Vironica
Assistant Manager at M1 NET
Mar 5, 2020
Auto-projections make it easy to tune performance

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of Vertica is as a data warehouse to perform aggregate and summary reports.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed us to reduce the creation of summarized tables, as the user can perform queries on the fly. It has provided for the faster retrieval of records.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good and the aggregate records are fast. Vertica Auto-Projections reduce the knowledge required by the DBA for tuning performance.

What needs improvement?

When it is about to reach the maximum storage capacity, it becomes slow.
Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Oracle, Teradata, and more!