Vertica Review

Improved my organization's functionality and performance

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization's functionality and performance.

What is most valuable?

You don't have any more dependency on the local store. In order to build the on-prem process for Vertica, you need to make a lot of changes and be picky about choosing your hardware for it. On Eon, you just put it on S3, so you're not paying a penny for the stores anymore. That's the good thing about Eon.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for a cheaper deployment for the solution. Although we did a lot of benchmarks, like Redshift. We tried Redshift, it didn't work. It didn't work out for us as well.

I have been using Vertica since 2009.

When you're on-prem, you're always worried about losing your nodes. It was hard to restore especially when you have big data.

Scalability has been amazing. We have seen a lot of improvement. We have developers and we have a production demo. We have hosted clusters for customers, we have deployed customer scope. I can scribe them by petabytes. I can scale them by the number of users. It depends on the customers. For one project we can have 15 to 20 consecutive users, but they deal with petabytes of storage.

Their support is really bad. Maybe Micro Focus has changed but they were not good before. They weren't really responsive. We've never had good support.

I would rate it a three out of ten. I met with them two months ago. They asked why we didn't renew our support. They wasted a lot of our money. We've had really bad experiences with Vertica.

We previously used Oracle and we decided to go for big data.

The initial setup was straightforward for me, it's not complex at all. You need to be at least a bit of a database administrator and really get certified on Vertica in order to use it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering Vertica is to go for it.

Nothing is missing. I would rate it a ten out of ten.

The only issues are support and the price.

9.3
More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.