• As it can load a lot of data very quickly, it is very helpful for our organization in managing our VLDB.
• It has the lowest cost per TB compared to other DW solutions.
• Provides us clustering for our commodity hardware and a good data compression ratio compared to other DW tools I've looked into.
• It is very scalable. We didn’t face any problems in terms of installation.
• Allows concurrent users access. Our staff can process and send query requests simultaneously -- it responds to all requests very efficiently.
• It is very easy to use! It also is good in providing OLAP support to our database system. We can also use traditional SQL queries and tables.
Room for Improvement:
• We can’t use vertica as a transactional database because it is unable to handle lot of transactions.
• While copying tables straight across from MYSQL, we observe poor performance. Queries take more time for execution.
• Our team is challenged during peak loads because of a lack of work load management options.
• It doesn’t offer us any configuration options for reducing the size of our database system and limiting our resource usage.
We are using Vertica because it is a fast and reliable data warehousing tool and provides us a very good data compression ratio. It is cheap in terms of overall cost per TB and also requires less human resource for maintenance and tuning. Vertica I have been told has improved cloud deployment capabilities on any infrastructure.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Feb 25 2013