Vertica Review

Valuable Features

Storage abstraction through projections. It gives you the possibility to react to any kind of query with an optimal performance.

The Workload Analyzer helps you easily to analyze your database workloads and recommends tuning opportunities to maximize the database performance. This in turn reduces your operational costs.

I love the hybrid storage model and due to that the full control of load and query behavior. I also like the ability to read semistructured data with FlexTables for DataExploration.

Improvements to My Organization

We are now able to procde real-time insights into our tracking data, and with that show how our customers are using the products that we have. Furthermore, it is now possible for our Data Science department to easily, and quickly train their new data mining models and get answers faster than ever before.

With the hybrid storage model along with well designed resource pools and storage abstraction through projections, we are now able to easily load new data constantly throughout the whole day. While doing this, we can still be available to perform data analytics on new and legacy data quickly, and even Microstrategy for enterprise reporting doesn’t need to cache data. Most reports can be generated with live queries and still finish within seconds.

So in a nutshell:
- Faster Information Insight (Data to Insight cycle)
- Less complexity on data modeling
- Less operational costs

Room for Improvement

I would love to see direct connections to other DMSs. Something like a direct connector to Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL, MongoDB, etc. so that you can copy data between Vertica and other vendors directly and more easily without an ETL tool, dump, transport, or load data.

Use of Solution

I've been using Vertica for two and a half years.

We had an issue caused by adding nodes, but this error was caused by ourselves, as we didn’t use the proper process for adding nodes. That led to some problems that needed to be solved. Even though we did something bad, the instance was still working properly from an outside point of view.

We had to contact support for the above mentioned issues with adding nodes, and some other minor questions. All pf our questions were been answered in an appropriate time, and for the complicated problem we needed to solve, we were provided a direct contact and solved this during a conference call with a technician from Boston. So all in all, I would rate the customer service and technical support team from HPE Vertica as one of the best.

The documentation and install procedures cannot be any more straightforward. You get all the information you need from the documentation in a well structured form. We also got support from Vertica for the first setup. They made hardware configuration suggestions and involved us in any details to help us to understand the overall process. During installation, the scripts were check numerous hardware and software settings to help you achieve the best performance for your environment.

Implementation Team

We implemented our first cluster in collaboration with the HPE Vertica team. I would always suggest this step, as you will be able to better understand the details about Vertica and how to operate the system efficiently.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

My advice for pricing/licensing/ROI in a "proprietary proprietary“ comparison. You won’t achieve a better cost effectiveness with a different vendor.

Other Solutions Considered

We did a PoC between competitors and Vertica. Throughout the whole PoC, Vertica performed much better in terms of its stability, flexibility, performance and ease of use. We didn’t encounter any problems or downsides, and it didn’t matter what we tested. At that stage, just the Management Console had some minor issues, but even those are now fixed and are not important for the core database engine. I would name HPE Vertica as the most mature columnar database with a best of class data storage and query engine.

Other Advice

From the beginning, work closely with HPE Vertica. There's a great Vertica community and a great network to many other companies in the world using this system. Vertica is the most flexible columnar storage with an outstanding performance for any kind of situation.