Vertica Review

What is most valuable?

Scale-out, analytical functions, ML.

How has it helped my organization?

We are an HP partner. A SQL-based compute platform like Vertica enables far less human overhead in operations and analytics.

What needs improvement?

More ML, both data prep, models, evaluation and workflow.  Improved support for deep analytics/ predictive modelling with machine learning algorithms. This area of analytics need a stack of functionality in order to support the scenario. The needed functionality includes:

• Data preparation. Scaling, centering, removing skewness, gap filling, pivoting, feature selection and feature generation
  • Algorithms/models. Non-linear models in general. More specifically, penalized models, tree/rule-based models (incl. ensambles), SVM, MARS, Neural networks, K-nearest neighbours, Naïve bayes, etc.
  • Support the concept of a “data processing pipeline” with data prep. + model. One would typically use “a pipeline” as the overall logical unit used to produce predictions/scoring.
  • Automatic model evaluation/tuning. With algorithms requiring tuning, support for automated testing of different settings/tuning parameters is very useful. Should include (k fold) cross validation and bootstrap for model evaluation
  • Some sort of hooks to use external models in a pipeline i.e. data prep in Vertica + model from Spark/R.
  • Parity functionality for the Java SDK compared to C++. Today the C++ SDK is the most feature rich. The request is to bring (and keep) the Java SDK up to feature parity with C++.
  • Streaming data and notifications/alerts. Streaming data is starting to get well supported with the Kafka integration. Now we just need a hook to issue notifications on streaming data. That is, running some sort of evaluation on incoming records (as they arrive to the Vertica tables) and possibly raising a notification.

Two years.

No, not really.

Postgresql, MySQL, SQL Server. Switched because of scalability and reliability, analytics functionality. V being a better engineered product.

Straightforward. Good docs helped a lot.

Its reasonably priced for non-trivial data problems.

Yes, Hadoop / Spark, SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

See additional functionality above.

7.2
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a vendor partner.
More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.