Vertica Review

Fast inserts, queries way faster than in SQL Server.

What is most valuable?

Fast inserts, queries way faster than in SQL Server.

How has it helped my organization?

Certain research which was unattainable beforehand, now is in reach.

What needs improvement?

Some GUI Tools out of the box, better python integration. I would love to see some nice query engine, tooled specifically to Vertica extensions of SQL (with IntelliSense). We currently use TOAD, but it has a lot of bugs and does not provide full support of all Vertica features. For example with the "copy to" command it is buggy - extremely hard to debug.

Other issues would be better query plan display and better management tools like command line admin tools. (MC would probably solve a bit here, I saw a demo on the conference). We have several avid Python users in the company, but this how maybe lower priority after I reviewed my conference materials and found that Vertica now has native Python driver.

2 years.

I was acting as my own DBA for a while, so a lot of hurdles before. But things are getting easier as more people in the company bought into the solution. I also got HP Training in house. (Thanks Herb!)

We can scale a lot, wish it was a bit more affordable.

It complements our SQL Server solution.

Own efforts.

Switch to per node from per TB.

7.1
More Vertica reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Teradata
Learn what your peers think about Vertica. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.