Vmware logo

VMware AirWatch Review
Effective and simple to manage. Support for more devices would be an improvement.

Valuable Features

We find this solution allows us to deploy apps more efficiently. We have a vendor that developed an app for their software for use in our company. We were able to deploy this custom built app easily.

We also find the Secure Email Gateway very useful. Active-Sync email routes through that server to the exchange server. With this configuration, we were able to lock down Exchange to only allow active-sync email from this server. We were able to configure the email settings within AirWatch to choose which extensions can be allowed on the email on the mobile device, as well as what app can be used to view attachments. There are alot of other options such as forwarding and screenshots that can be disabled, or restricted. We have implemented this with AirWatch Inbox to further lock down the email functionality and secure the email. We have also been able to deploy outlook settings to Windows desktop OS by using AirWatch.

I also like the ability to enroll devices in shared mode, which allows devices to be "checked out" by users by entering their username/password in the AirWatch app. Once they do this, their email is configured, and any apps, etc are downloaded. When they are done, they sign out, and the email and apps are removed.

I do like the remote wipe and how it allows you to locate a device if it is missing and delete the enterprise data, however these are limited on apple devices due to apple policies and cannot be changed by AirWatch. This will be the same on any MDM provider and isn't limited to just AirWatch. For example, if a device is stolen, you can't wipe it if they have it turned off. It will need to phone back home in order to be wiped. Now you can set a wipe after up to 10 passcode failed attempts which will help keep your data safe if it's stolen. You also can't force location services to be enabled by AirWatch. When enrolled, location services has to be enabled (or enabled later in the settings). AirWatch cannot force location services to be turned on due to Apple policies (and this will be the same for any other MDM provider). If the device is stolen and is phoning home, you can't locate it if location services was disabled or never enabled.

Improvements to My Organization

Jabber and other applications used often are easily able to be deployed and configured, as is e-mail. Email can also be secured more effectively with their product.

Room for Improvement

More functionality has been added for Windows desktop devices, and the options for Android and IOS has been fairly extensive already. The only recommendation I could make right now is continuing to add more functionality

Use of Solution

We have had this deployed and in production for around 4 years now

No. The deployment is fairly simple.

We encountered an issue with the renewing of the APN certificate, which was due to a bug in the version we were running and was resolved in an update. We have had a need to move the database, and that was fairly difficult as documentation was sparse, and the first support technican said AirWatch would need re-installed. However the next support technician pointed me to the configuration file in the install path that I needed to change settings in.

This has functioned as we expected in scalability.

When we have worked with Customer service, they have most often been helpful, knowledgeable and timely. There have been some instances where they weren't great such as when I needed to move the database. The first technician stated we would need to re-install AirWatch, however I opened a case up again and the next technician pointed me to a configuration file that I just needed to update. There have been other moments when one technician states something isn't supported or possible, but the next technician would state it is and provide information on how to do it.

When we have worked with Technical Support, they have most often been helpful, knowledgeable and timely. If we got one that wasn't, we give it a day and open another case in hopes of getting a better technician.

We used the default exchange settings to manage e-mail however the settings for security and deployment are limited there compared to AirWatch. We also tried to Use Vipre MDM but it was very limited as well when compared to AirWatch.

The setup of AirWatch itself was performed by AirWatch, however the setup of groups, policies, apps, etc. was straightforward.

Implementation Team

We implemented this product on our own. It was straightforward and fairly easy to implement.

Other Advice

This product is effective and simple to manage. It has more options that stand-alone products such as Anti-Virus or Exchange.