VMware AirWatch Review

Provides IT with security control over email yet end-users have flexibility in accessing email

What is our primary use case?

We use it for containerization and email management, EMM.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, my end-users would carry their complete email in their Outlook client. After we started using this solution, people started to use our actual email, with the help of the mobile client. It enables people to access their mail from wherever they want, whenever they want, and however they want. It enables users to carry a highly manageable platform and also a highly secure one.

In terms of IT, we can achieve security control, but from the end-user's point of view they have flexibility in how they use their mail.

What is most valuable?

It's all about securing data with the help of the email client called VMware Boxer. It enables end-users to carry data in their mobile devices but there is containerization between the personal data and the organization's data. It helps enhance their security, while still carrying their own BYOD.

Redundancy, manageability, and lack of complexity, are the typical things which make people choose VMware AirWatch.

Whatever product you choose in the VMware portfolio, everything is stable and very reliable. It is very controlled and very stable for product usage and in terms of manageability.

We have definitely not had any issues with scalability. It is highly redundant, highly scalable.

It is very easy to deploy. For the installation and configuration, we had straightforward documentation. With the help of consultants and architects, we developed the right design. They helped us to move forward.

If you ask me, in terms of installation, configuration, management, and monitoring, this solution is far better than others.

In terms of pricing, this solution is definitely much more expensive compared to other solutions, like MobileIron or MaaS360 or any other product in the market. This solution is more expensive by 30 or 40 percent. That is very hard because, while enterprise companies can afford for this pricing, if you look at the SMB sector, they can't afford this pricing, and they won't adopt this kind of technology.

We did a pilot of MaaS360.

When compared to other mobility solutions:

We think VMware AirWatch stands ahead of the other solutions. Other players can improve their functionalities and features by looking at the features of VMware AirWatch. This product is much more stable, much more compliant, and much more redundant. Also, rolling out the solution is much easier when compared to other products or vendors.

What other advice do I have?

This is a reliable solution, not like other vendors which may be good in some areas but lack in other areas. When compared to other products, AirWatch is highly scalable, redundant, reliable, and easily manageable. People who want to adopt this solution may be thinking about it from the end-user's perspective, but this solution is also very friendly for the people who manage it. It's administration-friendly.